Bestop or STC?

Root Moose

Fight Entropy!
City
left
State
ON
Hey guys, LWB wannabe here, first time poster. I have been accumulating CJ parts to build a "CJ Unlimited" (no offense). LOL

I've been researching how I am going to do the soft top and have been looking at some of the examples here.

I saw good pictures of the STC with the roll up sides and the Bestop SuperTop with the rear corners extended.

For my project I am taking a CJ7 and stretching the wheelbase 10" and the rear overhang 5" (like a TJ Unlimited). I find the proportion of that config really easy on the eyes once on 35"-36" tires. And since I got the CJ7 for free (rusty POS)...

So, either way I am looking at doing something custom with the soft top. Shorten the STC, stretch the Bestop.

Which top is the better quality top? Materials? Weather tighness? Ease to erect?

I really dig the roll up sides on the STC but I heard so many good things about the Bestop. I like that both tops have track systems versus snaps. My LWB Samurai had snaps and it was such a PITA I promised myself the next soft top vehicle I get will not use snaps.

Anyone have first hand experience with both tops?

T!

r@m

Last edited:

Jimbob

Basic User
City
Germantown
State
MD
If you want full length and dont mind snaps I would probably go with bestop. Noone offers the best hardware but bestops is probably a little better. I was slightly disappointed by my STC halftrac having unpainted hardware.

Saw your engine post on JU too! Goodluck on that I am in the same situation but dont give up the stroke!

Root Moose

Fight Entropy!
City
left
State
ON
Jimbob said:
If you want full length and dont mind snaps I would probably go with bestop. Noone offers the best hardware but bestops is probably a little better. I was slightly disappointed by my STC halftrac having unpainted hardware.
Noted.

Saw your engine post on JU too! Goodluck on that I am in the same situation but dont give up the stroke!
Yeah, I'm pretty much convinced the 258 block with the 4.0 head and RENIX FI is the way to go. I was hoping for more input though, maybe some other ideas that I was overlooking. Oh well, maybe it is just that easy. LOL

Btw, dig your Scrambler. Wish I had stuck with looking for a Scrambler instead of getting into the LWB Samurai thing. The LWB Sams are/were more common up here a tthe time. Would be way ahead now...

Stouttrout

Registered Jeep Nut
City
Sour Lake
State
Tx
I just installed an STC and i like it. Froom what I here it is better supported than the bestop. The fastTrac system is aluminum and will not rust. I replaced most of the hardware with Stainless. The aluminum can be painted if you use a good Zinc Phosphate primer first it will hold up good. Mine is super tight, no snaps and no drill into the body. I have never seen a besttop so i can not comment on that one.

Jimbob

Basic User
City
Germantown
State
MD
Unless there is a difference between the fulltop and halftop it is not all aluminum, though much of it is. Some of it is just galvanized steel plate.

Stouttrout

Registered Jeep Nut
City
Sour Lake
State
Tx
Your right, I should have clarified that. The Fast trac rails are Aluminum. All the braces are galvanized. I have the full top.

Jimbob

Basic User
City
Germantown
State
MD
and to think I was going to ask you where to get aluminum pieces!

I figure I will just POR it (the galvanized pieces)when it gets alittle rust on it. Right now, in my case, I just wanted to get it and the tonneau on and fitted.