• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

Bigwalton's LJ - Formerly "The LJ gets some big tire love"

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
EDIT 3/9/12: turning this into an overall build thread on the LJ, just ordered some new goodies and some other cool things are going to be happening to this that are worth having in a build thread ;)

This is actually somewhat Scrambler-related because it's all based on something that happened at the SOA National event.

I won a 50% off certificate from Black Diamond as a door prize for one of their suspension systems. With the Postal set for suspension, how can I make use of this lovely gift??? Hmmmm...

I promised Kate when we got the LJ that I wouldn't do anything to it until 1) it was out of warranty and 2) we wore out the stock MTRs. Being the responsible guy that I am, I even rotated in the spare too :banghead:

So the only things that the Rubi had seen mod-wise is that I got a SkidRow modular front bumper center section to mount the winch that I pulled out of our old XJ before I sold it, an add-on satellite radio and a CB setup. It's only got 45k miles on it since I'm working from home here, had a short commute in NC and it sits for loooong stretches during nice weather because I drive the Postal :D

That brings us back to the promise on wearing out the MTRs... guess what :cool:

One thing moving to MI proved is that these old MTRs completely SUCK in snow/ice. With no ABS, I wouldn't let Kate drive this in snow. It's also common knowledge that they are loud as ****, especially once they start to wear.

There's no way they'll get me through another winter and with the Black Diamond certificate, it's time for an early Christmas present for me.

Here's the recipe I've settled on:

'05 Rubicon LJ + 315/75/16 Goodyear Duratracs on stock Moabs (Kate's requirement) + wheel spacers of some flavor + Black Diamond 3" short arm lift with shocks + optional adjustable lower control arms + optional F/R adj trackbars

I have a local connection for tires, have an email in to see what I can do there and I got the quote on the lift this morning.

I also won a $50 Summit gift cert at the National and I'll use that for some wheel spacers.

Researching options, I found these pictures that... uh.... made me excited. I PMed the owner with some questions and it sealed the deal. This is an 05 Rubi like mine with the 6-speed on the exact tires I want and NO other mods except for a 4" lift and wheel spacers. This is pretty much exactly what I want to do but I'll give it a go with the 3" lift and add a 1" body lift if I happen to need it.

attachment.php

attachment.php

He thinks the gearing is fine (remember the ultra-low 1st gear in the 6-speed for on-road and the 4:1 tcase off-road--this is the one thing that's annoyed me with mine, first is TOO low on-road, I just have dealt with it).

I'll have to see what I can come up with on the very cheap for a tire carrier. The rest of this is straining the bounds of what I can swing now.

I'm getting all tingly with anticipation.

Oh, and there may be another reason for all of this, but that has to wait. ;)

Last edited:

jscherb

CJ-8 Member
City
Elmira
State
NY
As long as you're planning some mods, here's how it really should look... :evil:

attachment.php

Cincyjeeprs

CJ-8 Member
SOA Member
City
Cincinnati
State
Oh
As long as you're planning some mods, here's how it really should look... :evil:

attachment.php

Oh, now that's just cruel, Jeff.

BW, that's going to look awesome! I have looked at those duratracs and they are really nice. Way out of my budget unfortunately. Looking forward to pics, obviously.:cheers:

If you change your mind on this whole magilla, I would be willing to swap a T176/D300 for your poorly geared current setup. Just let me know....:evil:

Kane

CJ-8 Member
City
Berlin
State
ct
Man I love the unlimiteds on that model year. sometimes I just want to trade my truck in a get that but I need a bed that I can use. That lift and stock rime/tire combo is sweet.

Randyzzz

Blown Budget
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Redmond
State
OR
Dang, Jeff! That top makes that look perfect! :drool::drool::drool:

Eric- sounds like a good plan, but what's with the teaser? More details, Man!

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
So nothing to do with the $500 Scrambler and you'll just have to wait, sorry.

Jeff, that sure does look awesome, daaaang. (the top and the photoshop skillz) Wow. :drool:

Kevin, the only issue is the ultra low first gear and I've gotten used to it, otherwise I don't know too many vehicles that are reasonable to drive when upgrading to 35s on the stock drivetrain. :D That's a long way of saying I'll pass :) Besides, I'll be fixing it before too terribly long :smokin:

Cincyjeeprs

CJ-8 Member
SOA Member
City
Cincinnati
State
Oh
So nothing to do with the $500 Scrambler and you'll just have to wait, sorry.

Jeff, that sure does look awesome, daaaang. (the top and the photoshop skillz) Wow. :drool:

Kevin, the only issue is the ultra low first gear and I've gotten used to it, otherwise I don't know too many vehicles that are reasonable to drive when upgrading to 35s on the stock drivetrain. :D That's a long way of saying I'll pass :) Besides, I'll be fixing it before too terribly long :smokin:

Yeah, didn't think you'd bite on that!! I have been going through drivetrain scenarios in my little mind lately and it's getting crowded in there. Sam picked up some Scout 44 axles awhile ago. He is going to build the front and do a spring over so he can finally run those 37s he won a couple years ago. I get his D30 with 4.10s and a Trutrac and he'll build the rear Scout 44 for me. Problem is 4.10s, T176, and 31s aren't a good combination anywhere. I like my "low rider" and am not ready to jump all the way up to 33s just yet. Maybe I'll save up for a NV3550. Decisions, decisions.

No pictures yet, huh?:cheers:

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
I do need to take pics of the LJ as it sits before this starts. The LJ is definitely the least photographed of our rigs.

Here it is back in 05 when we took it for it's first wheeling trip at the Jefferson National Forest at Crabtree Falls, VA. This was before the winch/bumper combo went on.

attachment.php

Black Diamond never sent me the quote I need to order my kit, so I called them again this morning and left a message with the guy.

Anyone out there in Scrambler land got a good hookup for tires or wheel spacers? :D

1x1_Speed_Craig

Simplify...
City
Greeneville
State
TN
Looks good, Eric. :cheers: I'll be going for a little different look with my '05. I already have a 2" BB with 31" KM2s, but hope to step up to 33 x 10.5s in the spring (we'll see how the tax return looks). It'll look similar to this (posted on expeditionportal.com), but that one didn't have any lift.

Craig

2351918470103144551S600x600Q85.jpg

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
Wheel spacers ordered. There's some crazy good deals on eBay for a set of 4 for what it costs for a pair in the catalogs. Lots of good feedback too.

I mailed in my discount certificate to Black Diamond, should be there today at the latest, they have to call me with the certificate in hand (proof I actually won it) to confirm the order and place it :smokin:

WOOT!

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
Thanks, I'd heard of them, but their price with shipping is within $50 of what I found them for locally at a Goodyear shop including mounting and balancing, out the door.

Calling around to get prices for the next shop to match took about 15 minutes and saved me a little more than $100 :D Same thing I did for my windshield glass way back when.

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
First parts arrive

They're heeeeeere. :cool:

attachment.php

Nice looking pieces too.

I'm disappointed though that Black Diamond didn't get my certificate and call to place the order. I called them yesterday and the guy that handles these hadn't received it yet. I mailed the thing last Sat. :banghead:

Randyzzz

Blown Budget
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Redmond
State
OR
Hey Eric- the wife and I are taking the weekend off, heading for the coast. I'll have to find the body lift when we get back on Tuesday or Wednesday. Hope that's OK.

Randyzzz

Blown Budget
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Redmond
State
OR
Yeah- I thought I posted up in your "wanted" thread. :shrug:

I bought a 1" LJ lift and I was going to use it on my Scrambler, but I never did. It's aluminum spacers, 13 , with 2 extra pucks for the radiator sides and a square plate for spacing something down. I found it after my last post, it's all there except for a couple of bolts that walked off.

Basically this one from Rustys- except the radiator spacers look different, and there are 13 body pucks.
RK-BL100-TJ_01.jpg

http://rustysoffroad.com/mm5/mercha...oduct_Code=RK-BL100-TJ&Category_Code=BODYLIFT

I won't be able to get it in the mail until Weds when we get back form the coast. PM me your address in case I can't find it, and I'll get it out in a small flat rate priority box.

Last edited:

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
AH, see, without working notifications, I can't remember where all I posted. I totally missed that! Thanks man! :smokin: Enjoy the weekend!

ilovetrains

slightly backward
City
Lee's Summit
State
MO
nice score on the wheel spacers, they look like the Weird Harold's I ran on my TJ. I ran Moab's on it with Truxxus M/T's. Was great in snow and ice, rain etc. Those tires are really impressive on road. I ran 33's with a 3.5 RE kit. With a BL I could have fit 35's, but when wheeled aggressively they would have rubbed.

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
The 33s on the postal before the 35 mtrs were truxxus m/ts and I loved them too. Great all around tire. I almost went there for these, but this thing really needs more of a street tire, sadly. The reviews on the DuraTracs are fantastic everywhere I've looked.

Unfortunately, this LJ won't get wheeled much at all being my DD, I'm not too worried on the flares.