Block hugging headers for small block

Cursivearmy

Basic User
SOA Member
City
Lincoln
State
Ne
Hey all, I've been lurking around for a couple of weeks now, and will post pictures of my 82 when I get a chance, but I first had a question.

My scrambler runs a small block 400 with shorty style headers from a manufacture I can't remember any longer (put the 400 in 20 years ago when I was 17) as I wanted the exhaust inside the frame. The problem is that they are round port and the small block heads are square, so unless I run fiber style header gaskets I get a very slight leek out of the drive side last port. Not major, just barely fizzing out, you can't hear it, but I know it's happening.

Have any of you had good luck with a certain brand/style? I've only really seen the Novak or the Hedmans. Any help would be appreciated. And pics soon. Love the forum.

mysunnshine

Legacy Registered User
City
Phoenix
State
AZ
The trick to finding a "good" header is having thick flanges and use internal star washers on the bolts. That's what we do up here at the shop and we never have any issues. The thin flange headers tend to warp with heat so we stay away from them.

Cursivearmy

Basic User
SOA Member
City
Lincoln
State
Ne
Thanks for the info, sure appreciate it. So would you say that some sort of stock exhaust manifolds would be easier or more desirable?

scsbccj8

Legacy Registered User
City
oregon city
State
or
i ordered a set of block huggers for mine from speedway. got them on sale for about $75 and the flanges are almost 2x as thick and a set of heddman or hooker block huggers. havent had a problem with them yet. another trick i do it use factory manifold gaskets and a thin coat of hi-temp copper RTV on both sides. works great