Blown engine, head hurts, need help!

scrmbln dirtbag

Kimchi Bio-fuel
City
Orange Park
State
FL
Hey guys long time no talk. So...My 2.5 blew the other day on the way home. Exactly what the damage is at this point I don't know. I have a "my guy" tearing it apart currently as I write this. At the same time I'm scouring the web. Do I just rebuild, or swap now? Swapping has always been on the wish list, but the funds haven't been dedicated to it. Up until now, I've just been focusing on restoring it. It's still completely stock except for the 4" lift. Up until now, I've rebuilt the tranny, replaced the rear D20 axle hubs, front D30 Axle shafts, entire steering linkage including the tie rods. New fuel system except the tank and lines. All of the electrical system except for the starter to include cleaning and replacing all the wire harness. New carpet and seats on the interior, which I found out later that I hated the carpet in the rear and ripped it back out. etc. No wI knew what I was getting into buying the "8", but didn't think about the PITA when it comes to being on the other side of the world, and having availablity of parts, or lack there of. BTW I have extra parts for a 2.5 YJ just sitting around. Anywho this isn't a build thread.

My problem... I can have the engine rebuilt (Assuming no major damage to cylinder walls or anything), for 500-700$ for the rebuild kit, plus an additional 1K for the labor. Some might say that's less than what it will cost for a swap. And you would be correct. Then I will have a rebuilt 2.5 completely stock jeep and my restoration will be complete, beside the weather kisses I need to fix that I've mentioned in another thread.

Or I can shell out the money now (approx. 10K), to by a complete Novak powertrain, and an addition 5K est. for axles to handle that powertrain. And have the baddest 8 on this side of the world.

:::If I could only find a genie somewhere::: I do have the money for the Novak and axles, but as you can imagine I had other plans for that. (J.E.E.P.) I've even considered selling my Harley to offset the cost. My problem is availability. I can't just go to a "you pull it", which is why I'm even considering Novak. No hassle everything is included, I just bolt up the mounts drop it in, and connect some wires. I do have a Ford 302 here with me, but it's not assembled as I was not ready to install it, and not exactly sure if I have everything for it. I also have a t18 at my brother's house in Florida. Any advice is welcome, as my mind is tired of reading and contemplating. Thanks guys.

~Jeremy :confused::banghead::shrug:

wm69

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
God's Country
State
AR
Hey guys long time no talk. So...My 2.5 blew the other day on the way home. Exactly what the damage is at this point I don't know. I have a "my guy" tearing it apart currently as I write this. At the same time I'm scouring the web. Do I just rebuild, or swap now? Swapping has always been on the wish list, but the funds haven't been dedicated to it. Up until now, I've just been focusing on restoring it. It's still completely stock except for the 4" lift. Up until now, I've rebuilt the tranny, replaced the rear D20 axle hubs, front D30 Axle shafts, entire steering linkage including the tie rods. New fuel system except the tank and lines. All of the electrical system except for the starter to include cleaning and replacing all the wire harness. New carpet and seats on the interior, which I found out later that I hated the carpet in the rear and ripped it back out. etc. No wI knew what I was getting into buying the "8", but didn't think about the PITA when it comes to being on the other side of the world, and having availablity of parts, or lack there of. BTW I have extra parts for a 2.5 YJ just sitting around. Anywho this isn't a build thread.

My problem... I can have the engine rebuilt (Assuming no major damage to cylinder walls or anything), for 500-700$ for the rebuild kit, plus an additional 1K for the labor. Some might say that's less than what it will cost for a swap. And you would be correct. Then I will have a rebuilt 2.5 completely stock jeep and my restoration will be complete, beside the weather kisses I need to fix that I've mentioned in another thread.

Or I can shell out the money now (approx. 10K), to by a complete Novak powertrain, and an addition 5K est. for axles to handle that powertrain. And have the baddest 8 on this side of the world.

:::If I could only find a genie somewhere::: I do have the money for the Novak and axles, but as you can imagine I had other plans for that. (J.E.E.P.) I've even considered selling my Harley to offset the cost. My problem is availability. I can't just go to a "you pull it", which is why I'm even considering Novak. No hassle everything is included, I just bolt up the mounts drop it in, and connect some wires. I do have a Ford 302 here with me, but it's not assembled as I was not ready to install it, and not exactly sure if I have everything for it. I also have a t18 at my brother's house in Florida. Any advice is welcome, as my mind is tired of reading and contemplating. Thanks guys.

~Jeremy :confused::banghead::shrug:
Where are you located? Scour Craigslist for a used 258. I picked one up a year or two ago for $150 from pan to air cleaner. Something like that would be a drop in that would get you on the road, and then you can figure out if you want to keep it or do something with more CI's

BRKLYNZ28

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
BROOKLYN
State
NY
Yep seen them free also.. I gave one to the local metal scraper last year...

Sent from my SPH-L900

spankrjs

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
SOA Member
City
Biloxi
State
MS
Where are you located? Scour Craigslist for a used 258. I picked one up a year or two ago for $150 from pan to air cleaner. Something like that would be a drop in that would get you on the road, and then you can figure out if you want to keep it or do something with more CI's
Yep seen them free also.. I gave one to the local metal scraper last year...

Sent from my SPH-L900
If you have a 2.5l, you should have a Chevrolet bellhousing.

Sent from my SCH-I545
I think he is in Korea, his options will be limited:shrug:

scrmbln dirtbag

Kimchi Bio-fuel
City
Orange Park
State
FL
From everything I have read it is the Iron Duke. And yes I'm in Korea. If anyone knows of a cheaper alternative to Novaks 10k powertrain please let me know. Thanks

Jeremy

scrmbln dirtbag

Kimchi Bio-fuel
City
Orange Park
State
FL
Holy isht! I thought it was the Iron Duke. Maybe that's why I've had so many problems ordering parts. Everything I order always says for 1980-1986 2.5 I4. I've not noticed whether they say 151 or 150 though. Consider my mind blown as well. Thanks Jim! :cheers:

Doc Savage

Basic User
City
Huntsville
State
AL
I recently rebuilt the 2.5l in my TJ (basically the same but multiport injection). With me doing the work and sourcing the parts with a one man shop doing the block and head (including valves), it ran me right about $800 and I went the cheap route. I had really wanted to do a long block, but the standard shops stocking long blocks had them out of stock for some reason. If I didn't have to swap tranny and the transfercase input shaft along with computer and harness, I'd have looked for a 4.0. I'm not sure of the differences in the trannies for the 258 vs 2.5, but I've seen used 258s cheap that ran. I think location will kill you on that though. Good luck.

tom82cj8

Scrambler Pro
City
Austin
State
TX
I say rebuild it if it is the Jeep/AMC 2.5L Your Jeep will be down for a long time if you start a conversion. It will probably end up costing more than you expect also. Once you get it running again, you can think about getting a fuel system from a later model YJ/TJ. That would be a big improvement over the carburetor. I would bet that your axles are geared pretty low. As long as you don't put a bunch of heavy bumpers/winch/armor or 37" tires on the rig, you should have decent power and good economy.