Body difference in 1981 CJ8 -reason?

MarknessMonster

Amiable Jeeper
City
Western
State
CO
I recently noticed that my 1981 CJ8 hood is different than my 1983. On the driver's side of the hood, and near the hood tie-down, the hood has a rounded relief at the bottom edge. I wonder what funtion did this relief perform from previous CJ's that carried over to the early CJ8's?

I was pretty excited about this find, as it is just another uniqueness of the 1981 Scramblers. '81 Scramblers rule, and even though there were a larger volume of them made than other years, I think the value of the first Scramblers should be higher than the latter years; maybe even the '86's! :)

Anybody know the reason for this relief in the hood?

CBRogers

Perpetual Parts Collector
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Yorktown
State
Va
It was some sort of carry over from the war days of the jeep.

I think that it had something to do with black out lights, or maybe a snorkle.

It has been a while but I seem to remember discussing this like 10 years ago.

Here is hoping that someone else remembers this.

Carl

jscherb

CJ-8 Member
CJ-8.com Member
City
Elmira
State
NY
I had one of those hoods on the Gaucho project for a little while until I found a hood in nicer condition. You can see the notch along the top edge of the fender in the photo below.

The notch in the hood was for the wiring for a fender mounted siren or light. Apparently the factory used these hoods randomly on non-military Jeeps as their inventory of parts varied from time to time. I don't believe all 81 Scramblers had it, it's just a random occurence at the factory.

Last edited:

MarknessMonster

Amiable Jeeper
City
Western
State
CO
Apparently the factory used these hoods randomly on non-military Jeeps as their inventory of parts varied from time to time. I don't believe all 81 Scramblers had it, it's just a random occurence at the factory.
That's great news, as it may make my '81 even more rare (i.e. valuable). Who else has an '81 with a similar relief, as shown in the previous photos?

Oh, and "bigwalton", '81's don't leak. :D

AJM81CJ8

Door Breaker
City
Kalamazoo
State
MI
My father-in-law's 81 has the relief in the hood. I thought it was normal. I guess I'll just have to look harder.

spankrjs

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Biloxi
State
MS
My 78 CJ-7 has this notch in the hood, and the corresponding notch in the top of the fender. I dont think its anything special:)

MarknessMonster

Amiable Jeeper
City
Western
State
CO
My 78 CJ-7 has this notch in the hood, and the corresponding notch in the top of the fender. I dont think its anything special:)
I wouldn't either, if I had this detail on any CJ model other than a CJ8 -especially on a CJ7. There were so many 5's, 6's and 7's produced, that I certainly wouldn't think that any detailing on these mass-produced models would be anything special. ;) That's the main reason I don't own any other CJ models, as they are a "dime-a-dozen" and you're likely to drive past 10 other ones just like yours in a 10 mile drive.

The fact that CJ8's were so limited in production and that most, if not all, '81's are distinctively different from a quick glance, makes it pretty special. The only reason that it would not be considered such a big deal, is the fact that the CJ8 front end is not unique to the Scrambler, but rather shared with the mass-produced CJ models.

Last edited:

Gr8jpn

Basic User
City
Kansas City
State
MO
My 79 CJ7 had the relief in the hood... my 83 & 86 CJ 7's did not...

They must have used up all the "old" hoods sometime in 82.