Spieg

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Aurora
State
CO
Both of my front tub mounts (just below/behind the firewall) are hosed. I need to make some repair but don't know how the captive nut is held in place to that toe plate. Anyone have good pics of how that nut is attached?

One of the bolts keeps backing out over time and I think I need to replace the bolt. Is there a source for new bolts with the friction fit threads like OEM?

cattleman1977

CJ-8 Member
CJ-8.com Member
City
Delavan
State
KS
I just bought a pair of the outboard rails that I think you are talking about. They haven't been mounted yet so I should be able to get some good pictures. It'll be Monday before I can do it though. Mine came from classic enterprises.

zr10054

Car and Gun Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Gonzales
State
La
Just checked my tub which at this time is off the frame. The captive nuts look to be flat plates aprox 2"x 2"X 1/4 in thick and most are just sitting in the channel with some type of retainer clip. I'll have to repair the one on my grill mount. I started spraying all of mine with Blaster every day for a week before I started taking the tub off. I've been spraying the roll cage bolts for two weeks and a couple still won't budge.

Spieg

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Aurora
State
CO
Yep that's what I'm working on. Thanks for the info... nice to know the parts are available new if it comes to that. Still not sure how I want to tackle this job. The threads stripped out of one of the nut plates and I'm tempted to just put a new nut above the old plate with some thread lock or something (pretty sure I can a wrench in there without cutting anything).

GreatCJ8

Charter Member
City
Lynchburg
State
VA
Yep that's what I'm working on. Thanks for the info... nice to know the parts are available new if it comes to that. Still not sure how I want to tackle this job. The threads stripped out of one of the nut plates and I'm tempted to just put a new nut above the old plate with some thread lock or something (pretty sure I can a wrench in there without cutting anything).
This part of my rehab was the toughest!! ughhh

Question: For the frame mounts which is better, buying a new kit or having them fabbed?

4miles

CJ-8 Member
CJ-8.com Member
City
Virginia Beach
State
VA
I chose to just replace the top only with 3/16 plate. Measured the hole first, removed the top only, grinded a v edge, welded the new piece and drilled with hole saw. It was very easy and did not have to worry about getting the height and location right.
065_BodyMountWeld2.JPG
063_BodyMountReplace2.JPG