Body panel and tub repair

splogue

Legacy Registered User
City
Norfolk
State
Va
Good morning,

The Jeep is asking for some love, it has a decent body but has the usual rust spots.

Floor pans, side body panels, above the tires.

What I need is advice on a beginner welder, thinking Hobart 140. It had been years since I welded and that was just learning.

Also what body panel s are best to buy.

Attachments

sdsupilot

CJ-8 Member
CJ-8.com Member
City
OKC
State
OK
http://www.cj-8.com/forum/showthread.php?48070-The-story-of-Peggy-s-jeep

The second page of my thread covers some of the metal patching I did.

I used the Eastwood 135 welder with gas. It has done a good job, but you are limited on thickness. I have an arc welder for frame/bumpers. The Hobart welders are pretty good machines as well. For body work I would always use MIG (with gas) vs wire feed/flux core wire. The welds are much cleaner and easier to prep for paint.

I patched the tub with 20 gauge steel and cut the "flair" off the rear wheel openings. I purchased my floor pans from amazon, while cheap they did the job. Other companies make better floor pan options.

certifiablejeep

Definitley Certifiable
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Bedford
State
NH
Search through the threads, there are numerous discussions on welders and panels from classic enterprises.

cb

TravelnMan

Legacy Registered User
City
Granby
State
CT
110V machines are good for sheet metal but as noted you'll be limited on the thickness of material you can weld.

Which ever model/make you get definitely go for a bottle of gas. I used flux core when I initially got mine. Once I got a bottle of gas I'll never go back for in shop use.

Consider your future needs. If your plans are to do more modifications in the future you may want to consider a 220V machine. While I have the equivalent size Lincoln I think the Hobart would be fine.

wewjr32

CJ-8 Member
CJ-8.com Member
City
Franklin
State
TN
I have the Hobart 190. If you have the budget and access to 220V I would recommend going bigger and like TravelnMan said above, definitely get the gas and throw the flux core wire out. Hobart makes a nice unit.

Also, if you ever plan on working with aluminum in the future, you'll want to go with the 190 because it has a compatible spool gun. The 140 does not.