bigwalton

Picture cravin' AK Postal nut
Staff member
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
I had an AMC drag racer/engine builder friend come over to check out the 401 I’m putting in my Cherokee. He saw this in my pile of parts and it shocked me when he commented “wow that’s a great idea” because he’s been into cars and building forever.

if you’ve never had an AMC v8 water pump and timing cover off, almost all of the bolts/studs are different with different washers and nuts everywhere. I draw an outline of the part on cardboard and stick the bolts in their locations. This is the water pump, as an example. Then I make any notes, like how the AC compressor mount bolts are what pick up the other two holes.

I’m sure I saw this somewhere, it’s not my idea, but if he hadn’t seen it before I figured it was worth sharing here. (He said he numbered the bolts/holes on paper somehow, I’d end up mixing them up or the labels would fall off.)

1E2E1C90-799F-48D2-A984-8ECCA53F8BBC.jpeg

Last edited:

jammer1

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Maple Hts.
State
Oh
Do it with everything (even using a box to push spark plugs through and mark position). Rates right with taking pics on the phone. Can blow the pic up to see everything. Both a big help for us who don't do this often.

bigwalton

Staff member
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
Do it with everything (even using a box to push spark plugs through and mark position). Rates right with taking pics on the phone. Can blow the pic up to see everything. Both a big help for us who don't do this often.
yep, I currently have pushrods, spark plugs and bolts in cardboard and lifters in a labeled egg carton :rotfl:

bigwalton

Staff member
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
And when bolts are all the same or really obvious, they go in labeled plastic baggies. I never throw away the little part bags that come with products I buy, they all go in a large bag in the garage for projects just like this.

bigwalton

Staff member
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
My bags are with post it notes and plenty pictures on the iPhone
I only do the cardboard when theres a good chance of mixing up bolts/studs and their nuts/washers if they were to fall off in a bag. post it notes in the bags is a good idea, i usually just write on them with sharpies and can only reuse them so many times before everything is scratched out.

Belizeit

CJ-8 Member
CJ-8.com Member
City
River Ridge
State
La
Done the cardboard a couple times also, all good reminders for a mind that is torn up and a body that don't care anymore, hell getting old !

bigwalton

Staff member
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
I store them in the treaded hole they came out of, or if bolt/nut put them back in the hole.
If you can, but that doesn’t work well when you’re cleaning gasket surfaces and moving things around a lot where they can fall out of the holes :shrug:

ag4ever

Average Nut
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Richmond
State
TX
If you can, but that doesn’t work well when you’re cleaning gasket surfaces and moving things around a lot where they can fall out of the holes :shrug:
I’ll admit it, I’ve used the cardboard map layout before.

I also use a printout from the i-fix-it instructions when repairing phones. Place some double sided Scotch tape over the images for each step and stick the part or screw there so you can follow the directions in reverse while reassembling it. Ensures the parts and screws go back in the right place at the right step.

Flatie46

Legacy Registered User
City
Russllville
State
TN
I started doing this years ago when I would disassemble a Harley primary, pretty handy especially if something will be apart for a while waiting on parts. Love the bag and tag, recently replaced the dash in my 91 Chevy truck. Their was a boat load of screws, clips, etc and I wanted it all to back exactly as it should with no rattles or squeaks, it really helped.