Borrowed Time

Gean

Basic User
CJ-8.com Member
City
Colfax
State
IA
So I figure my wife will only let me keep a bunch of parts and a non-running vehicle around for a few more months. I’ve bought 3 abandoned Scrambler projects and am focusing on getting one going.
Not even really sure where to start. I figure I’ll put it mostly together, see what I’m missing, pull it back apart and do all the body/paint work. I’ve got a pretty good list, and would love feedback or suggestions:

I’d like to add a/c - issues with the 258? Suggestions on stock vs aftermarket?
I’ve settled in a 1 inch body lift (in addition to stock). I have a new 2 inch, but it already looks pretty good. I’ve got 31’s on it and would like it to ride nicely.
I’ll be adding fuel injection - suggestions on brands or pitfalls?
I have 2 complete and one incomplete wiring harnesses, but really just want new to avoid issues - thoughts?

I had an 83 Scrambler as my first car in 87 and it wasn’t super reliable then, so I’m looking to fix some of the problems I had then: carburetor hell, uncomfortable/loud ride, and RUST mostly. But, I absolutely LOVED it!

Any other suggestions to make my life easier. would be appreciated!

I’ll try to post pics as I go.

Attachments

Last edited:

mhinchliffe

CJ-8 Member
CJ-8.com Member
City
W-S
State
NC
"I had an 83 Scrambler as my first car in 87 and it wasn’t super reliable then, so I’m looking to fix some of the problems I had then: carburetor hell, uncomfortable/loud ride, and RUST mostly. But, I absolutely LOVED it!"

-Welcome back!
MC2100 carb will fix all your problems
You live in Iowa...why on earth would you need A/C? (Vintage Air is well received here)
You could do the mock up, tear it down, paint, assemble and drive then tweak it as you go. I recommend getting your drivetrain dialed in as far as seals, steering and brakes then work on the FI system and A/C

Good luck and have fun. These guys here will empty your pockets for you before you realize it!

certifiablejeep

Definitley Certifiable
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Bedford
State
NH
Howell fuel injection on a 258 has never let me down... run it on 3 of my Jeeps... the carb mentioned is good as well, just depends on where you want to spend your money as one is more $$ than the other.

good luck.

cb

sdsupilot

CJ-8 Member
CJ-8.com Member
City
OKC
State
OK
If you are using the AMC I6, I would try to source a stock A/C unit. Parts availability is pretty good at least most of the time. I'm from South Dakota originally, live in Oklahoma now. While this time of year A/C isn't even a thought up there, in the summer it is. Actually gets hotter up there in the summer than it does here. It just doesn't stay super hot for 3 months!

I like the Howell unit too. It isn't as fancy as some of the other (newer) options. The nice part is that the kit is based on GM TBI parts. Nearly every auto parts store has parts in stock.

It looks like you have 1 piece rear axle shafts already. My only other suggestion at this point would be to check your other scramblers to see if one has a T176 (shifter is straight). One of the above pics show either a T4 or T5, neither of which are a very durable transmission. That said, with 31" tires and stock power either a T4 or T5 should have a reasonable service life.

Gean

Basic User
CJ-8.com Member
City
Colfax
State
IA
"I had an 83 Scrambler as my first car in 87 and it wasn’t super reliable then, so I’m looking to fix some of the problems I had then: carburetor hell, uncomfortable/loud ride, and RUST mostly. But, I absolutely LOVED it!"

-Welcome back!
MC2100 carb will fix all your problems
You live in Iowa...why on earth would you need A/C? (Vintage Air is well received here)
You could do the mock up, tear it down, paint, assemble and drive then tweak it as you go. I recommend getting your drivetrain dialed in as far as seals, steering and brakes then work on the FI system and A/C

Good luck and have fun. These guys here will empty your pockets for you before you realize it!
Thanks for the input! As far as A/C goes, you have a really good point,

Gean

Basic User
CJ-8.com Member
City
Colfax
State
IA
If you are using the AMC I6, I would try to source a stock A/C unit. Parts availability is pretty good at least most of the time. I'm from South Dakota originally, live in Oklahoma now. While this time of year A/C isn't even a thought up there, in the summer it is. Actually gets hotter up there in the summer than it does here. It just doesn't stay super hot for 3 months!

I like the Howell unit too. It isn't as fancy as some of the other (newer) options. The nice part is that the kit is based on GM TBI parts. Nearly every auto parts store has parts in stock.

It looks like you have 1 piece rear axle shafts already. My only other suggestion at this point would be to check your other scramblers to see if one has a T176 (shifter is straight). One of the above pics show either a T4 or T5, neither of which are a very durable transmission. That said, with 31" tires and stock power either a T4 or T5 should have a reasonable service life.
I’ve got an extra T4 lying around but it won’t help (until mine fails...) I also have another set of 1 piece axles! I agree on the weather in Iowa - it gets hot and humid for a few months! Thanks for your suggestions!

Gean

Basic User
CJ-8.com Member
City
Colfax
State
IA
Howell fuel injection on a 258 has never let me down... run it on 3 of my Jeeps... the carb mentioned is good as well, just depends on where you want to spend your money as one is more $$ than the other.

good luck.

cb
I’ll definitely look into the Howell fuel injection - thanks!