Brake Booster upgrade ideas?

City
Jackson
State
SC
After reading all of the successful booster conversions on the forum I decided I would go for it.
Purchased the booster from Morris 4x4, really nice kit, somewhat easily installed.
Like stated earlier definitely need to make/buy a grommet for the 2-1/8 hole left in the fire wall prior to bolting bracket.
Now the bad part, old brake lines will not reach to MC due to booster extending from firewall.
Uncoiled them and made them reach, but they looked really bad.
Bought new straight lengths of 1/4 and 3/16 tubing, flaring tool. The location of the proportioning valve and the interferences around it made this the worst part of the conversion. Got the old lines out and will fab new soon.
Really would like some suggestions on where to pull the vacuum from and some new air intake ideas due to factory breather will not fit with new booster.
1983 cj8

City
Willis
State
Tx
Off Road again in mine as well. Running 33” tires, inspection guy had me drive while he rode along, he asked “are the brakes good. He dang near hit his head on the dash 😬

jlweakley

Basic User
City
Clarksville
State
Tn
After reading all of the successful booster conversions on the forum I decided I would go for it.
Purchased the booster from Morris 4x4, really nice kit, somewhat easily installed.
Like stated earlier definitely need to make/buy a grommet for the 2-1/8 hole left in the fire wall prior to bolting bracket.
Now the bad part, old brake lines will not reach to MC due to booster extending from firewall.
Uncoiled them and made them reach, but they looked really bad.
Bought new straight lengths of 1/4 and 3/16 tubing, flaring tool. The location of the proportioning valve and the interferences around it made this the worst part of the conversion. Got the old lines out and will fab new soon.
Really would like some suggestions on where to pull the vacuum from and some new air intake ideas due to factory breather will not fit with new booster.
1983 cj8

I had the same problem with the lines. It is worth the effort to bend new lines for the new booster. Just take your time and make sure they seal well and don't kink. I pulled the vacuum from the rear port of the manifold. It took me two days of spraying PB blaster on the plug every time I passed my Jeep to make it release, but it made an easy release and thread on for the new port.

Do you have any pictures of the problem you are having with the breather?

City
Jackson
State
SC
Productive day, was able to get the brake lines bent and re flared to install the booster and proportioning valve fittings on to the tubes.
One note .. the reservoirs are opposite from the manual MC and the power brake MC, I'm assuming the larger reservoir is always tubed to the front disc.
The flaring tool will be going back to orileys .. you pay for what you get.. the 1/4" tube did ok but not the 3/16, it wouldn't pull down straight when in flaring tool. Will leak check them soon. IMG_1878.JPG IMG_1879.JPG

City
Jackson
State
SC
Update..
Managed to get brake lines finished, worked on setting brake pedal height. Found a lot of slop in the universe rod that ties to brake pedal and made a bushing to correct. Old M/C Rod had a 1/2" hole vrs the 5/8" of the new rod that came with M/C. Got vacuum tied in at rear of manifold as suggested. Will start bleeding everything and report on how it does.
Found an old single flare block and used the anvil with the double flare block , made a big difference. Made a cheap flaring tool a little bit easier to use. IMG_1881.JPG IMG_1882.JPG IMG_1883.JPG

City
Jackson
State
SC
Question..
Finally got back on scrambler brake project.
While bleeding brakes with the two man process, went to passenger back side first. Barely a dribble at that point, same at drivers back and very little movement in peddle when bleeder opens. Front bleeds fine with peddle going to floor when bleeder opens. Went with hand held vacuum pump to pull fluid to the back bleeders. Shouldn't peddle go to floor once back bleeders are opened?

John N

Addicted....Ex-SOA VP
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
SOA Member
City
Rockville
State
VA
I got a vacuum bleeder that uses air from my compressor. It has a piece that attaches to the bleeder fitting and sucks the fluid. It’s the best thing I’ve ever had for bleeding brakes. Makes it a one person job.

jammer1

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Maple Hts.
State
Oh
With rear bleeders Open paddle should go to floor (you pushing it, not on it's own). rears can be harder to get started (get fluid to start flowing). gravity bleeding can take some time, but usually works. vacuum hand pump can get things moving faster.

City
Jackson
State
SC
With rear bleeders Open paddle should go to floor (you pushing it, not on it's own). rears can be harder to get started (get fluid to start flowing). gravity bleeding can take some time, but usually works. vacuum hand pump can get things moving faster.
Thanks Jammer
I was thinking that the peddle should respond to the open bleeder. I was worried that a spec of dirt or trash got in the open port on the PV so blew compressed air in open back bleeders to open line at MC, then reversed air flow back to bleeders from MC.. got good air flow both ways.
Once I put the vacuum pump at back bleeders I did pull fluid , then tried pumping brakes and open a bleeder method. But very little response.. will continue today to see what happens.
Thank you for your response
JT

jammer1

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Maple Hts.
State
Oh
The vac bleeder has a cup that you have some brake fluid in to start. don't be afraid to pump the bleeder and fill the cup (just make sure you don't run the M/C dry). I've had to fill that cup 2 or 3 times. once you get a slow stream coming out of the bleeder screw, take the vac pump setup off and law gravity do the work. just keep filling the M/C..

Chamba

City
Vero Beach
State
FL
Has anyone used the southwest performance brake booster conversion setup?

I was buying the Collins brothers conversion when I saw how much they charged for shipping AND charged me Texas sales tax, so I went with the unknown at southwest performance.

It has the brake line output on both sides of the master cylinder (which I'm not wild about, given its simply one more spot to leak) but otherwise looks to be very similar to the Collins unit. I figure worst case, I'll just buy a master cylinder at Napa and attach it to the kit from southwest performance.

Chamba

City
Vero Beach
State
FL
I received the southwest performance kit. Looks very nice. I noticed what others have pointed out: the master cylinder is reversed from our manual one with the larger flare being at the rear- most cup on the master cylinder. Should simply be a matter of screwing them on to the opposite holes.

I'm hoping to do the swap soon so I'll update when I'm done.

Chamba

City
Vero Beach
State
FL
I've installed the conversion kit. First off, it's a nice kit and would have been a very simple install taking about two hours start to finish. It would have .... had the chinese master cylinder not proved faulty.

In what was an almost erie premonition, the block off port was leaking air due to a nasty little spur on the threads I hadn't noticed. I could not get the front cup to bench bleed no matter how hard I tried, that's when I figured out the problem. It wasn't leaking fluid, just air. It wasn't until I put the brake lines on to get real pressure that I found the leak.

I wound up buying a '69 Corvette master cylinder from Napa which only has one set of brake line ports and seems identical. I'll put it in when I get home.

I was able to finally get the original master to bleed using jb weld, but I'll replace it nonetheless. If I did it again, I'd have jb welded those ports BEFORE I painted the master. After I discovered the leak I had to remove the master, clean all the bake fluid out of it and then seal it.

Just to add to my irritation, southwest performance parts wouldn't allow me to put a one star rating on their site....cheeky.

On the plus side, the brakes work amazingly well. I'm no longer scared that I'll be able to stop in time when a millennial texter slams on the brakes in front of me.

Attachments

Last edited: