• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

Brake, marker, dash lights don’t work

Schlap

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Brentwood
State
TN
I’ve looked through all 31 pages in this forum but didn’t see a thread on this problem. Headlights, turn signals, hazards work but brake, dash, & marker lights do not. I haven’t made any changes lately and I don’t see any bad fuses.
Has anyone else ever experienced this?
Any thoughts?

John N

Addicted....Ex-SOA VP
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Rockville
State
VA
I’ll ask the easy question first on the dash lights, have you turned the headlight switch knob? If yes, it could be a bad switch or connection. Brake lights could be a mis-adjusted brake light switch at top of the pedal.

Dave The Sparky

Rebuilding my CJ8 very,very slowly...
City
Halifax
State
UK
Odd one but scanning through the wiring diagrams all those things that are not working points towards the turn signal switch or the fuse that feeds it. so i would suspect that either the long connector at the bottom of the steering column (think mine is black) that feeds the turn signal switch has been dislodged/needs looking at, or the turn signal switch has gone faulty.

Just double check that the fuse for that circuit hasn't actually gone but in a way that it still looks good, the pesky things have had me before pretending to be okay when they aren't! :o

mhinchliffe

CJ-8 Member
City
W-S
State
NC
My headlights would occasionally "flicker". I chased it back to a ground on the dash. I have factory wiring harness and I also took the advice on here and ran a dedicated ground from the dash panel itself to the (-) battery terminal. Use this as a good time to (-) the dash. Good luck and let us know.

sdsupilot

CJ-8 Member
City
OKC
State
OK
so i would suspect that either the long connector at the bottom of the steering column (think mine is black) that feeds the turn signal switch has been dislodged/needs looking at

This happened on mine after replacing the turn signal switch. I didn’t fully connect it. I would check that before you pull too much hair out.