• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

Brake switch...what the...

Dansim

City
Washington
State
UT
I have read the horror stories and still decided to go for it. Like that person in the horror movie and you say “don’t open that closet...” and they still do. What’s wrong with those people???

1. took out the front seat. Great suggestion.
2. I put the new switch on and before mounting it wanted to make sure it worked. Nothing.
3. replaced old dirty light bulbs. They work great. Turn signals work great.
4. go back to switch. Brand new. Why am I still not getting brake lights???

If anyone has an idea and want to shoot me your thoughts I would appreciate it.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    127.3 KB · Views: 19
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    121.1 KB · Views: 18

tower210

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Olathe
State
KS
Use a jumper across the terminals to see if that turns them on?

Dansim

City
Washington
State
UT
I used a jumper wire across the connector terminals and still no lights. Looks like I need to continue to troubleshoot...

certifiablejeep

Definitley Certifiable
Lifetime Member
City
Bedford
State
NH
I can't remember the whole diagram, but is there a fuse in the way there that might be missing?

cb

jammer1

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Maple Hts.
State
Oh
Put a voltage meter on each of the wires (one at a time). One should have power, other goes to rear tail lights. If no power at any of the 2 wires, check fuse box fuses. If power in one wire, connect both wires then check power at tail light bulb. No power you have a broken wire or corroded connection. I would think you wouldn't have a ground problem if rest of tail lights work. Also a chance that both brake light filaments went bad. Don't have a wiring diagram at home to check. This is just the basic run of the wires.

FLCJ8

Legacy Registered User
City
Palm Bay
State
FL
Here are some diagrams to go with the testing suggestions.
fuse.PNG

switch.PNG

You may want to try testing voltage or jumping wires at the C125 connector.

Dansim

City
Washington
State
UT
Holy Smokes ya'll are amazing! Thank you for all the help and diagrams! I will check and let you know. The fact that I don't have hazards or even a click makes me think it's a fuse or other issue. I'll report back. can't thank you all enough...

Randyzzz

Blown Budget
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Redmond
State
OR
You jumpered the switch and still no lights. Turn signals work but no hazards. My guess is the multifunction switch.