Brake upgrade

shortbals

City
Chesterfield
State
MO
After a weekend of off road, in 4 low, SBC 350, 700r4, 4/1 transfer case on stock brakes and 35s, I realize the need to upgrade. Going down hills was interesting if the group in front of me stopped on the hills and I was in the back.

I have a upgraded master and dual diaphragm brake booster, SS Lines, new fluid, new pads and drums and everything is adjusted well. I can get the brakes to lock up on the street at speed. But low speed takes a lot of effort, especially on hills in 4 low and the 700r4 low 1st gear with 35s and all my gear in the jeep.

What upgrades can I look to do? Any better front disk or calipers? It is a stock dana 30 with a locker and shafts, the rear is a Cj7 86 44 with drums. I was thinking of disk swap for the rear, but the more I read and think about it, I would think a properly adjusted drum will work fine?

What are my options and any recommendationsMoonLight jeep.jpg for upgrades? Hydro is not out of the question, but I have had a couple jeep buddies tell me not to do it because It heats up the steering.

sdsupilot

CJ-8 Member
CJ-8.com Member
City
OKC
State
OK
What is your axle ratio? I have a 4.3/700r4/np241c with 3.73 axle gears and 33" tires. When I put the trans in 1, it will descend very slowly down hill. It takes a pretty steep hill to actually speed the engine/jeep up. With the factory single diaphragm booster the brakes are sufficient in my case. Putting the trans in neutral should help if you are trying to stop completely while going downhill. The 4/1 transfer case and the 700r4s low first gear probably contributes a bit of pushing against the brakes.

You can easily put a cooler on the PS return line to help with the heat. I just got back from Moab. A friends TJ was overheating the PS until we put a cooler on.

shortbals

City
Chesterfield
State
MO
I'm running 4.10s with 35s, so probably close to you with 3.73 and 33s. It definitely wasn't bad as far as engine speed going down hill in 1st, I could take my foot off the brake and slowly crawl down, the issue came if everyone had to stop. We were at a large club event and got stuck in groups a couple times at SMORR. We want to take a trip to Colorado and do black bear, but without confidence in the brakes I'm not sure I'll be willing to do it.

John N

Addicted....Ex-SOA VP
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
SOA Member
City
Rockville
State
VA
I’ve got a 360/tf999/D300 w/4:1; 4.09 gears/ARB’s and have a duel diaphragm booster setup (Navaho). I can stop pretty well on the down hills. The big difference is I have 44’s front and rear with larger brakes. The front disk are full size Jeep (‘78 Waggy) and the rear are Scout II drums (11” x 2.25””). You probably upgrade the rear brakes to 11” x 2” pretty easily as a first step And see how it works.

mwqpd11

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Coopersburg
State
PA
I had a 95 YJ with 5.13 gears and a Tera Low 4 to 1. Could barely stop in low on the trail. I did a Vancouver big break kit. The front was replaced with twin pistons calipers Believe they were from a Mercury Mountaineer. Kit worked great

mwqpd11

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Coopersburg
State
PA
Sorry. Auto correct did that at 510am. Vanco.