Burnt up 1985 Scrambler

City
Kearney
State
MO
Hello, I was wondering if I would be able to put a cj-7 cab onto my scrambler frame because my original cab is burnt up (everything is gone except for the seats and windows) (front windshield is busted and burnt), I prefer not to have to rewire the whole truck so if I can put a cj7 cab on it with wiring that would be great. Thanks!

Attachments

Kim Dawson

CJ-8 Member
CJ-8.com Member
City
Molalla
State
Or
Wiring from a CJ7 is the same except the tail light harness is longer on the scrambler . . . no big deal. Use all the parts you want from a CJ7. The picture doesn't show much metal damage to the Scrambler body. Cowl section could be replaced if necessary. A good running CJ7 with a rusted frame and/or body should give you just about everything you will need.

certifiablejeep

Definitley Certifiable
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Bedford
State
NH
Hello, I was wondering if I would be able to put a cj-7 cab onto my scrambler frame because my original cab is burnt up (everything is gone except for the seats and windows) (front windshield is busted and burnt), I prefer not to have to rewire the whole truck so if I can put a cj7 cab on it with wiring that would be great. Thanks!
A CJ7 "cab" will not work as it isn't a CJ8 size... this isn't a true truck with a cab and bed, it is integral.
If you meant a CJ7 "wiring harness" as @Kim Dawson said it would work.

You just have to make clear what you are trying to do here... body or just wiring or both.

cb

City
Kearney
State
MO
Thanks for youre help. I am trying to save myself from having to rewire everything the cheapest way, so I thought maybe by putting a cj7 cab on the scrambler I would have all gauges and wiring intact

Randyzzz

Blown Budget
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
SOA Member
City
Redmond
State
OR
You can pull the dash with the wiring intact- the big connector behind the fuse box splits it at the firewall, and the tail lamps have a connector on the left side on a Scrambler. The CJ7 tub as a whole won’t fit on a Scrambler frame due to wheelbase. You will have to take what you need off the ‘7 and transplant to the ‘8.

City
Kearney
State
MO
Awesome thanks. All of the wiring in the engine bay is burnt and unusable except for the headlight wiring. Not sure what to do with that aspect

Kim Dawson

CJ-8 Member
CJ-8.com Member
City
Molalla
State
Or
The easiest way to get your Scrambler back on the road is with a CJ7 for parts. Do you have one? Once you remove all the damaged parts from the Scrambler, clean and repair and repaint the burnt cowl and firewall and floor. Then just use all the CJ7 parts to put it back together. If the Scrambler tail light harness is ok, good. If not, cut it and join it to the CJ7 tail light harness. Once you clean and paint, the rest is just remove and replace. The Jeep is the new Model T. They are simple to work on and lots of available parts.

certifiablejeep

Definitley Certifiable
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Bedford
State
NH
I do not have a cj7 for parts but I am trying to find a salvage yard with one that I can take parts and wiring from, thank you for you're help!
Good luck and hopefully you find something... I have not seen a CJ in a salvage yard in many years around here.

cb

certifiablejeep

Definitley Certifiable
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Bedford
State
NH
Awesome thanks. All of the wiring in the engine bay is burnt and unusable except for the headlight wiring. Not sure what to do with that aspect
Not to ask the obvious... but do you know why it burned up? If you put in new wiring and still have the same issue, it could happen again, just wouldn't want you to go through all the effort only to have the same result.

cb

ag4ever

Average Nut
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Richmond
State
TX
Just get a painless harness and start from scratch. These cj’s are not that complicated.

Fixing the burnt panels will be way more trouble than the wiring.

I’d also ditch the factory gauges and get some SppedHut.

I am told the wire harness for a 7 is exactly the same as an 8. Just routed differently in the rear.

certifiablejeep

Definitley Certifiable
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Bedford
State
NH
There is a bigger issue here I think... it isn't just wiring.
The steering column needs to be rebuilt (wiring inside of that)
The engine definitely would need some attention. In one picture there is an alternator and in another there isn't one.
The steering wheel is pretty jacked, as is the accelerator pedal.
Was water used to put this out or chem from an extinguisher?

I am not trying to nitpick, but quick fix engine fires usually result in another engine fire.
There is a lot to go through here and it just sounds like you are trying to patch it quickly.

Was this totaled and you (or someone) bought it back to fix up?

cb

City
Kearney
State
MO
I bought it to rebuild it, and I have no idea how the fire was put out. Engine is being pulled and we are going to take it apart and assess the damage And will go from there

AK-RWC

Legacy Registered User
SOA Member
City
south central
State
AK
I am told the wire harness for a 7 is exactly the same as an 8. Just routed differently in the rear.
^^This.^^

In the 7, the harness stays inside and follows up at the B-pillar, sneaking just underneath the fender lip, and exiting straight down at the back of the fender. In the 8, the harness follows underneath the door opening like the 7, but goes straight back and exits the interior at the floor riser, then follows the edge of the bed (in a protective hard plastic sheath) to get to the back. Either way, same length.