• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

Busted!

1crazy-jeeper

What's a scrambler?
:mad:
I was out driving today just like every day in my DD 81 scrambler when I noticed the rear leaf spring eye has completely busted off! What the heck is up with that! I never do any extreme wheeling just an occasional logging trail durring hunting season. The rest is 100% highway.
I guess I'm in for a very expensive ride. The problem is that since this is my DD, I can't afford to no have a vehicle for weeks at a time. I gotta get it fixed and fast.

I didn't have any handling problems. No pulling, no vibration, nothing.

I guess I should be glad it was a rear spring and not a front.

Any ideas where I should get a decent pair of rear springs with about 2 inches of lift?

Truck

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Manassas
State
Va
Holy Cow, Batman...I'm glad nothing happened while you were driving it in that condition.

Truck

John N

Addicted....Ex-SOA VP
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Rockville
State
VA
Glad nothing else happened as a result. Maybe use a 4" lift spring and go back to a standard shackle.

1crazy-jeeper

What's a scrambler?
Maybe use a 4" lift spring and go back to a standard shackle

I'd like to go with a softer ride if possible. I'm afraid a 4" spring will make my teeth rattle too much.

I've heard alot about wrangler springs. How tuff are they to install?

mulescj8

INSANE SCRAMBLER HACK
Lifetime Member
City
Middle of No Where and Too Far From Any Where
State
Tn
Wranglers

1crazy-jeeper said:
I'd like to go with a softer ride if possible. I'm afraid a 4" spring will make my teeth rattle too much.

I've heard alot about wrangler springs. How tuff are they to install?

The rears are a direct bolt in,may need to reverse your shackel hanger on the rear frame,but i wouldn't unless your shackel is laid back at a steep angle,the fronts will require you change the front shackle hanger out to work with the wider springs and will require a wider spring pad to make them fit corretly.

Wyoming

DC
City
Cheyenne
State
wy
quote:

I don't think you understand. You will get a better ride out of a properly made 4" lift spring than a 2 1/2" spring with a longer shackle. The longer shackles are the worst thing you can do to a spring. It forces it down away from it's orrignal arc. Like putting blocks on the axel it transfers more tourqe and stress to the spring (Hence the broken spring) causing them to go flat. The rear wrangler springs are the same width, the center pin is 1" off this will move the axel you can redrill the center pin. The front ones are wider which would require a new hanger in the front. I think they will work in the stock hangers on the frame. I have a set of new ones and as I looked at them thats all I saw.

1crazy-jeeper

What's a scrambler?
Got it fixed!

I ordered a set of super ride 2 1/2 inch springs and installed them today. Great ride! The only problem was that my old springs were so saggy that the rear of my jeep is hicked as high as J-Lo. So I put on a set of very short (half inch or so shorter than stock) shackles on eliminating about 2 inches of hight. The back is now level with the front (the v8 helps). The ride is great. Now I'm thinking I might do a shaq reversal up front (I hear about 2 inches of hight) and slap the long shackles back on the rear. This plus my TJ flares should clear 36's. Wouldn't that be cool! :eek:

83scrambler

You call her scrambledegg
City
Indianapolis
State
IN
This week I actually just got done installing a set of YJ 3.5" BDS springs on a shackle reversal with M.O.R.E.'s weld it yourself ($140.00) kit and took it for the maiden vayoage last night. Seems to be alot softer ride. Now I am stuck today with wether I want to spend more time out in the shop with lengthening the drive shaft. If anyone has lengthened their driveshaft for a shackle reversal...I am wondering if adding two inches is going to be enough??seems like 2 inches would work at full droop and full compression. Let me know yall!!

Zodiac

CJ-8 Member
City
Macomb
State
MO
1crazy-jeeper said:
I ordered a set of super ride 2 1/2 inch springs and installed them today. Great ride!

Are you sure they're Superride? I have a set of their 2.5" springs with their hydraulic (non-gas-assist) shocks, and the ride is brutal. I'm thinking of converting to Skyjacker's 2.5" kit, or maybe Rancho as a compromise.
The only thing rougher than my Superrides were the 4" Rough Country springs under my friend's '79 CJ-7- they were aptly named. :eek:
<EDIT> Come to think of it, I didn't even consider- Does Superlift make more than just their Superride springs? If so, that answers my concern with ride quality, perhaps I just have the standard Superlift springs, and they're stiffer than their Superride. How about it, people? </EDIT>

Last edited:

trust

PITA
City
White Rock
State
NM
Superlift does, or did, offer a HD set, We got those for my son's first scrambler and swapped with a buddy because his Scrambler was so heavy his springs couldn't keep his off the stops. On my boy's, the abused standard duty el cheapos worked great but the HDs didn't work so well for my buddy, evan at 6000#+ they were just to stiff.

Zodiac

CJ-8 Member
City
Macomb
State
MO
Could be that, I'll have to check them for numbers and give Superlift a call. Thanks for the info. Heck, maybe these are the same springs, I got them used from someone else who said they were too stiff... :D