CA Smog Check....

CJ7Pilot

LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Yuba City
State
CA
Recap: A couple of weeks ago, I took my Scrambler in for California's required biennial Smog check.

My '82 Scrambler was originally a 4-banger, but at some point (evidently quite a long time ago), the engine was retrofitted with an '82 GMC 350 V8. It was a legal swap, with the Bureau of Automotive Repair (BAR) sticker placed inside the cab, on the driver side kick panel.

The sticker specifies all kinds of 80's era smog devices that must be functioning. Oddly though, it does not specify a timing setting (more on that later).

So, I went through the whole system, replaced all the vacuum lines, ensured the proper operation of all the thermo-valves, air injection pump, efe, egr, pcv, etc... and I took it in to be smogged. Amazingly, it passed the visual check and the running emissions by a pretty wide margin!

However, there is also an "evap" test where they pressurize the fuel tank to check for vapor leaks. For that, I got a FAIL.

I ordered a set of replacement filler/vent hoses, and when I replaced the old ones, I saw that rats had chewed a hole in the vent hose. Perfect, I thought, there's my problem!

I took it back to the smog shop, and the evap pressure check still failed.

No more games. I decided to replace everything that could possibly leak in that system! I was apprehensive about dropping the fuel tank... but it had to be done.

Here's what I started with (and this is after I vacuumed all the loose crap off the top):

tank - 1.jpg

The rats had nested on the fuel tank, and chewed the heck out of everything! Also, the rollover valve gaskets were pretty deteriorated, which I think is where the majority of the leakage was occurring.

I think I see why my fuel gauge wasn't working:

tank - 2.jpg

That was pure nastiness... Years of rat feces had solidified like concrete around the fuel sender nut, and it took hours of soaking with various cleaners and scraping with a screwdriver to dig it out enough that I could turn the nut! Fortunately, I had plenty to do in the mean time.

I replaced the rollover valve/vents and gaskets, and I replaced all the flexible fuel hoses and vent lines from the tank to the carburetor.

I also replaced the fuel gauge sender, and I'm here to tell you something that most of you probably already know: DON'T BOTHER buying one from Omix! It is NOT a direct fit! I had to trim a bunch of metal off just to get it to fit through the hole, and when I finally got it installed, the fuel pickup tube was bent too low to clear the lock nut. I had to bend it upward quite a bit so I could get the fuel line attached. I'll add though, that my fuel gauge actually works now, for the first time since I've owned the Jeep!

Here's the tank, ready to go back in the vehicle:

tank - 4.jpg

I re-installed the tank, hooked up the lines, and started it up! I expected to have to crank it for a while, because all the fuel lines were completely empty... but there was plenty of fuel in the float bowl to run the engine while the fuel pump re-primed and purged the air out of the system... one point for carburetors!

This morning, I went back to the smog shop. First thing, they hooked up the evap test pump... FAIL! WTF?!? There's nothing more I can do to seal this system!

False alarm! They put a thicker rubber washer on the fitting that attaches to my fuel filler, and it PASSED! Then they re-ran the rest of the smog-check, and I sailed through (whew)!

INTERESTING ASIDE: Remember when I mentioned that my BAR sticker didn't include timing specs? Well, the smog tech called BAR to ask about that. They told him that it must be a really old sticker, and now there is more information required. They said to go ahead and pass it this time... but before I get another smog check (two years from now), I need to visit a referee and have my conversion re-evaluated, and get an up-to-date sticker!

Well crap. If I have to go to the referee anyway, I might as well swap in a more modern engine... how about a 5.3? :cheers:

Belizeit

CJ-8 Member
CJ-8.com Member
City
River Ridge
State
La
Wow you guys really have to jump through hoops out there. Was just visiting family out in Oregon a few weeks ago and my brother in law had a beautiful 740 BMW 2003 and it was not passing the test. Vehicle looks great & body beautiful. He didn't want to spend 5-6000 $ on a ring job so he sold it to the mechanic for a grand

IAFFCJ

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
SOA Member
City
Manassas
State
VA
Wow. That’s a ton to go through think I’d be looking for property in another state.

Kim Dawson

CJ-8 Member
CJ-8.com Member
City
Molalla
State
Or
In Oregon it is easy to pass the smog test, DEQ, compared to Calif. Older cars without the plug-in for checking emissions just get the tail pipe check and a visual for the Cat. If it idles low and runs efficiently it passes. No check under the hood for change of engine or carburetor or if it has all the smog crap. As long as it isn't burning oil or running rich it's easy to pass. I just heard that our registration fees are going up. The $84 per two years is going up to $112 for two years. Still a bargain especially compared to Calif. And the DEQ fee is only $21 and only if it passes. There are probably some other states that are less but I can live with Oregon's fees.

CJ7Pilot

LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Yuba City
State
CA
So, 17 months later, I removed the fuel tank for another reason.

While it was out, I pulled the sending unit, and the plastic float was about 1/4 full of fuel!

Fortunately, I had saved the brass float off the original sending unit, so I popped it right in there.

So far, so good! :thumbsup:

ag4ever

Average Nut
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Richmond
State
TX
Wow, nothing like that in Texas. Last time I got mine inspected, they drove it to verify the brakes worked then slapped a sticker on the windshield. It is supposed to have a cat, but the previous owner had removed it. Still passed.

I am positive that it will be simple once the 5.3 or 6.2 (still have not decide which I’m using) is installed, especially since I plan on installing a cat(s).

Any thought on what you are going to do in October regarding the referee recertification?

gpassida

Basic User
City
Redding
State
Ca
Mine was a 4-banger too. In 1997 I swapped in '87 TBI 350. Love it! A copy of my BAR sticker is below. For some reason, they printed the timing at 6d BTDC. I think they made a mistake as the Computer controlled TBI needs to be set at 0d. Probably printed the setting based on a carb 350. I run it at 0d If I don't set it to 6d before I take in to be smogged, they will fail it or charge me $120 to set it to 6d. It runs pretty well at 6d but noticeably better at 0d where it should be. Other than that, it has passes its smog test every time since 1997. The mechanics usually huddle around it because they don't see many smog legal swaps. BTW, when we did the swap we put in a brand new crate roller cam motor and used all the external TBI parts and ECU from a rolled over '87 truck.

I can't believe it has been almost 22 years since the engine was swapped in! It's not a daily driver but other than normal maintenance, all I have had to do was replace a MAF sensor and the coolant sensor that goes to the ECU.

Attachments

CJ7Pilot

LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Yuba City
State
CA
I ended up installing a new 350 crate engine, and sticking with the already approved conversion.

I did convert to a serpentine belt drive for the accessories, using all TBI brackets... and that will un-doubtedly raise a few eyebrows, but I have no intention of going to a referee for an already approved conversion!

My Q-Jet 350 runs like a champ, and I couldn't be happier.

Admittedly, a TBI 350 seems pretty attractive... but I'm having fits with my '95 Suburban right now! I wish I could give it a Quadra-Jet.... :crazy: