• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

Can anyone identify this style of step bumper?

Super 8

Legacy Registered User
City
Bozeman
State
MT
I found an aftermarket step bumper that I am trying to find out more about. Has anyone seen one like this before?

Attachments

• 120013090_708416463352967_2091421271208167886_n.jpg
    120013090_708416463352967_2091421271208167886_n.jpg
    165.5 KB · Views: 88

Belizeit

CJ-8 Member
Gold Member
City
River Ridge
State
La
Interesting. Someone else said it might be a dealer installed bumper. Some where stamped with a dealer name. Have you heard of that?
Yes back in the day it was a common thing on pickups. Saw an old pickup just a couple years ago with one

Belizeit

CJ-8 Member
Gold Member
City
River Ridge
State
La
Here is an after market 1 I bought from J C Whitney 35 years ago and used for probably 25 years. Swapped it with @Hoover here last year. Just steel but provided good protection. image.jpeg

Randyzzz

Blown Budget
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Redmond
State
OR
That looks like a vintage FEY mini-truck bumper. I used to sell the heck out of those back in the day. FEY is now owned by Westin.

AK-RWC

Legacy Registered User
Gold Member
City
south central
State
AK
I found an aftermarket step bumper that I am trying to find out more about. Has anyone seen one like this before?
This actually looks like a chrome version of the postal bumper. But it's very possible that the postal bumper was produced by the aftermarket; 230 is hardly enough to justify the tooling.

Super 8

Legacy Registered User
City
Bozeman
State
MT
This actually looks like a chrome version of the postal bumper. But it's very possible that the postal bumper was produced by the aftermarket; 230 is hardly enough to justify the tooling.
Didn't think about that possibility. I am just hoping for a period correct step bumper

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI

I was thinking the same thing, looks a lot like the one on mine when I got it, just prettier and chromed.

AK-RWC

Legacy Registered User
Gold Member
City
south central
State
AK
It also struck me vaguely like a potential MJ bumper, and since I was curious Google showed me what the OEM MJ bumper looks like. More interestingly, I found that Westin Fey still makes a bumper, the 6300 model, that looks just like what we're talking about, and it makes me think they supplied the postal bumpers too. It's not identical, but I could see some of the same tooling producing both.
https://www.westinautomotive.com/product-detail/63000/diamondstep-universal-bumper

Super 8

Legacy Registered User
City
Bozeman
State
MT
It also struck me vaguely like a potential MJ bumper, and since I was curious Google showed me what the OEM MJ bumper looks like. More interestingly, I found that Westin Fey still makes a bumper, the 6300 model, that looks just like what we're talking about, and it makes me think they supplied the postal bumpers too. It's not identical, but I could see some of the same tooling producing both.
https://www.westinautomotive.com/product-detail/63000/diamondstep-universal-bumper
Looks close, but the Fey MJ bumper has three ribs and the other has two.

Randyzzz

Blown Budget
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Redmond
State
OR
Looks close, but the Fey MJ bumper has three ribs and the other has two.
Good eye! Back in the 80’s FEY had a “ bargain bumper, black. I seem to remember it had only 2 ribs. Very short too-