• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

Can you reuse Axle Seals and Bearings?

hefavitzen

Scrambler Junkie
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
City
Rock Hill
State
SC
Hey guys, question for you - I am about to pull the axle shafts out of the housing so I can put the mounting plate on for the disk brakes, as I am converting from drum to disks.

When I remove the bearing so I can remove the backing / mounting plate - I have the following questions:
(Assuming that the seals and bearings appear to be in good condition and that, aside from the axle sitting for 5 years, it had never been installed.)

1) is it possible and OK to reuse the outer seals (is like a plate with a rubber gasket around the center hole)?
2) is it possible and OK to reuse the bearings after removing them from the axle shaft, if they appear in good shape?
3) If I pull the axles, do I need to replace the Inner Seals too or just be careful when I'm putting the shafts back in?????
4) If I do need to replace all or some of these items, is there a difference between a regular axle shaft bearing and a Yukon "sealed bearing"???
5) Any advise or tricks for putting the axle bearings back on the shaft to the correct depth and without damaging them, if I am doing this in my driveway and have no bottle-press available?

If I need to replace these items to ensure they won't fail or (worse) leak, which is the best option?? They all look similar but are so different in price!

I'm worried that maybe just having these items mounted and then removing them will damage them in some way, such as stretch them, that will make it leak or fail if I do not replace with new components.

What is your experience and, if I have to buy new, where do you get this stuff?

Thanks, as always, Jeff

CJ7Pilot

BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Yuba City
State
CA
Some of it depends on what kind of axles you have, but here are my thoughts in general:

1. You'll probably be fine to keep the outer seal, especially if it has been sitting, and never been run. If it shows any damage or wear though, you might as well replace it. I tend to replace wear parts, when I have access to them.

2. Same story with the bearings, although it will be tough to get the bearings off without damaging them. You'll have to break the retaining ring for sure, and I don't know if you can buy just that part.

3. Same story also with the inner seals. But again, I'd replace them just on principle while you've got things opened up.

4. Do you have the old-style Moser one-piece axles? If not, the Yukon sealed bearing won't work for you. It's a ball bearing, not a roller bearing, so it's not the most desirable setup anyway.

5. You'll want to find someone to press them on for you (maybe get the old bearings pressed off at the same time). The retaining ring is too tight of a fit to just pound on with a sledge and a piece of pipe. This might be a good time to go to Harbor Freight and buy a hydraulic press... you'll use it a lot more than you think! Spring for the 20 ton.

I try to stick with name brand bearings and seals: Timken Bearings, SKF Bearings, CR Seals, and National Seals are all top quality. NTN Bearings and Koyo Bearings are acceptable also. Definitely steer clear of anything unbranded, or made in China. Cheap seals will leak from day one, and cheap bearings won't last a year.

Have fun! :cheers:

Last edited: