Can't turn left!

LSUtiger

Legacy Registered User
City
Monroe
State
LA
Ok, I'm officially stumped.

I've been redoing my 81 for a couple years now. 350/Dana 44/hydro-boost brakes, yadda yadda yadda.....

Anyway, she doesn't wanna turn left unless the front axle is off the ground. Power steering works fine to the right. Power steering works fine to the left until the wheels are straight, then no more power steering beyond that. Manual steering still work..... nothing binding etc..

I just replaced the steering box and some of the hoses, but end result was the same. I have another jeep w hydro boost brakes, so I copied how the hoses are run. Brakes are fine btw. I figured it wasn't the pump because seems like if the pump was bad, then the power brake assist wouldn't work AND it wouldn't have power steering to the right.

Anybody got any ideas?

jammer1

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Maple Hts.
State
Oh
Almost sounds live a valve is plugged or not working. Lets fluid go one way but beyond straight it doesn't allow (the assist from the fluid) to go to the left. This ought to be interesting (and frustrating).

jammer1

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Maple Hts.
State
Oh
I wondered that, but then he wouldn't be able to turn left with wheels off ground or hard like manual steering.

LSUtiger

Legacy Registered User
City
Monroe
State
LA
With wheels straight, pitman arm is damn near pointed straight rearward.

With front end jacked up, all is good. Just no assist to the left after jeep is put back on the ground. I'm gonna check the belt n make sure it's tight, then a new ps pump I guess? Unless u guys have a better idea.

LSUtiger

Legacy Registered User
City
Monroe
State
LA
I'm not 100% sure about that. I've turned the wheel bk n forth a gajillion times and kept adding fluid. Don't see any leaks yet. I do have tiny bubbles still tho. I will try again tomorrow.

LSUtiger

Legacy Registered User
City
Monroe
State
LA
Ok, progress. I let it sit for 3 hours and I noticed the fluid level went down (bubbles). So I topped it off and tried again. I read somewhere that I should start with the wheels pointed left for some reason, so what the heck.... I jacked her up again n that's what I did. It did seem to drop the fluid a tad bit, but not much.
I also read I should see if raising the rpm's helped(it didn't).
Put it back on the ground and still no luck. So bk up in the air she went. My arms are like Popeye's now. However after several cycles of bk and forth with the motor running, I noticed that noise that ps pumps usually make when u turn all the way one direction or the other. I hadn't heard that noise when turning to full left, so I figured that was good, so I put her on the ground n viola! She's turning correctly!!! So, I'm guessing I still had air in there? The worst part is....... I probly replaced a perfectly good steering box. Oh well, at least I upgraded:thumbsup:

Did I mention that an H1 Hummer box is a direct bolt in?!?

LSUtiger

Legacy Registered User
City
Monroe
State
LA
Damnit! False alarm. In my haste, I didn't realize I had the front end ever so slightly raised up, and of course, when I put it all the way on the ground, my problem came back!

walkerhoundvm

Just trying to stay upright
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Cave Creek
State
AZ
How does your geometry look? I'm wondering if it's off ever so slightly somewhere (snap a pic for us from a few angles), and when you set it on the ground it binds; when you have it in the air there's weight on everything and the geometry is good, allowing it to turn. Good tie rod ends, ball joints, etc?

LSUtiger

Legacy Registered User
City
Monroe
State
LA
Geometry is good. Drag link has a little drop, maybe 15°. Nothing binds, even when flexing. I put an old greasy metal sign under the left tire and it turns ever so slightly more to left until it stops again. I'm guessing its a little bit less resistance when turning on the ground.

rustycrawler

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Reston
State
VA
It seems that if you were to disconnect the pitman arm everything turns just fine on the steering box side? When you hook up the pitman arm and lift the car everything turns just fine? When you lower the car and put weight on the tires, you can't turn left. Does that sum it up?

LSUtiger

Legacy Registered User
City
Monroe
State
LA
I can turn left just enough to get the wheels straight, but beyond that to the left it won't go with the weight on it unless u crank the hell outta the steering wheel.

Spieg

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Aurora
State
CO
Are you running a steering stabilizer? May be time to post up some photos.

jammer1

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Maple Hts.
State
Oh
My mechanic said the valve's are mainly in the steering gear. He asked if you are sure you hooked up the lines correctly (because of hydra-boost brakes). He mentioned a check valve in the lines and if you hooked them up wrong (it won't put pressure the wrong way through the check valve). Did you have the hydra-boost brakes before this all started.

LSUtiger

Legacy Registered User
City
Monroe
State
LA
I have another jeep w hydro boost. I double checked every line.... They are the same. No steering stabilizer.