• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

Carter Quadrajet Questions

OGRES

Ramblin' Wreck
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
City
Suwanee
State
GA
Anyone here running a Rochester or Carter Quadraject carburetor?

While having some battery issues, I noticed some issues with my carburetor. First, fuel was profusely leaking from the line leading into the carb. Second, I found a broken spring that I believe used to reside inside another spring linked to the throttle cable. I am looking specifically to replace the springs AND to make sure they get installed in the right place.

I have absolutely no experience when it comes to carburetors, but this might be a good reason to learn and to take the whole thing apart and rebuild it (or replace it). I have included some pics for reference.

20200823_093445.jpg

20200823_093508.jpg

20200823_093625.jpg

Randyzzz

Blown Budget
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Redmond
State
OR
Used to call those “Poor man’s fuel injection “. Once you got one running correctly, it ran great. Bouncing and inclines didn’t seem to bother them. And relatively decent fuel economy was possible too.

It’s been years since I dealt with one of those. I remember there were some tricks and some preventative measures too, like JB weld in the bottom plugs. I don’t remember them being too hard to rebuild either.

I think I have a good one here in my box ‘o carbs, along with a bunch of Holleys. Thanks for reminding me- I’m selling at a parts swap in a couple weeks and had totally forgotten about them.

OGRES

Ramblin' Wreck
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
City
Suwanee
State
GA
I think I am going to try to rebuild it.

I need to get my hands on some good schematics first though, or at least some good step by step instructions.

CJ7Pilot

BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Yuba City
State
CA
I found this website: https://cliffshighperformance.com/, bought his book, a bushing kit, and a rebuild kit.

I did it myself, and it turned out great! You can also send yours in for a custom rebuild if you want, but I think it's worth doing at home.

Spend some time reading the book. There's a lot of information to digest, but after a while it starts making sense. Then when you finally start in on your carburetor, it goes pretty easily.

... And Dave is right, youtube is also a great resource.

Have fun! :cheers:

John N

Addicted....Ex-SOA VP
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Rockville
State
VA
I ran a Quadrajet for a while between running an Edlebrock carb (awful) and going to a Howell tbi. It was way better than the Edlebrock, but still no where close to what the Howell does.

OGRES

Ramblin' Wreck
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
City
Suwanee
State
GA
I found this website: https://cliffshighperformance.com/, bought his book, a bushing kit, and a rebuild kit.

I did it myself, and it turned out great! You can also send yours in for a custom rebuild if you want, but I think it's worth doing at home.

Spend some time reading the book. There's a lot of information to digest, but after a while it starts making sense. Then when you finally start in on your carburetor, it goes pretty easily.

... And Dave is right, youtube is also a great resource.

Have fun! :cheers:

I went ahead and bought the book.

I am going to read through it to make sure the Rochester and the Carter Quadrajets are the same (or similar enough) before taking it apart. I will bey the rebuild kits once I think I am comfortable taking it all apart and putting it back together again.

Thank you everyone for the good info.

CJ7Pilot

BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Yuba City
State
CA
Rochester and Carter should be the same. The Edelbrock replacements are a little different, but there's a chapter of the book dedicated just for them.

OGRES

Ramblin' Wreck
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
City
Suwanee
State
GA
Rochester and Carter should be the same. The Edelbrock replacements are a little different, but there's a chapter of the book dedicated just for them.

That is what I was hoping for.

Out of all of the internet searches I have done and the online pictures I have seen, I still haven't come across the same setup that I have. I am hoping that things are similar enough to get through the re-build.