• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

Caster questions

rstickley

SOA Member
Gold Member
SOA Member
City
Carencro
State
La
Ever since I purchased my 8 I have had thought the caster was off because; 1) the wheel doesn't return to center after turning 2) excessive wandering(all steering components new) and 3) 4" lift and no shims. I recently had it sitting on stands resting on the axles and did some checking. I checked the angle near the top ball joint and got -3.5. I have tried to find out what it should be and come up with different answers. What is the correct angle and is it ok to check it with it sitting on jack stands?

TrebleHook

CJ-8 Member
City
Fairfax
State
VA
Factory spec is between 3-7* positive castor. I've found that 5-6* has worked best for me...but that's with 33" tires. The bigger the tire - the more castor you'll have to add to get the steering return your looking for.

To make it REALLY easy - take it to an alignment shop and get the number off the computer before buying some shims. I'd also keep an eye on the camber - I used ball-joint sleeves to correct mine.

Cheers,
Dylan

Last edited:

Kane

CJ-8 Member
City
Berlin
State
ct
I've done alot of research on this because I converted scout axles and had to cut and turn my inner C's. I ended up going to 7 degrees of caster to run 33 inch tires. These jeeps with heavy tires need some extra help so I chose to go more and then if I need and can shim it back to less if needed.

DirtyB

Crazy Cajun
Lifetime Member
City
Port Allen
State
LA
I used a gravity angle finder from Lowe's to check my caster. I later had a front end alignment done by a professional and found that my measurements were within about 1 degree of what the computer measured.

BRKLYNZ28

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
BROOKLYN
State
NY
Plumb bob ?

8y8uzedu-1.jpg

Sent from my SPH-L900

rstickley

SOA Member
Gold Member
SOA Member
City
Carencro
State
La
I stopped by an alignment shop today to see if they could check it for me(I wasn't in the Jeep), and to see when and the guy told me that if the top ball joint is tilted back, that is positive caster and not negative. I thought that was neg. So which is it?

walkerhoundvm

Just trying to stay upright
Lifetime Member
City
Cave Creek
State
AZ
Maybe he meant that the bottom part of the ball joint was behind the front part of the ball joint?

SHLTR2

Island Jeeper
Lifetime Member
City
Drummond Island
State
MI
Positive. If you tilt it the other way and drive with it, you'll quickly see how "negative" an experience that is... :)