• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

Caulking and Silicone

Wayne

Legacy Registered User
City
Cape Coral
State
FL
Hello:
What would you recomend for the following.
1. What caulking would you use when bolting the fenders back to the fire wall and the sides of the grill?
2. What would you use on the windshield rubber weather seal when you attach the windshield to the top cowl panel?

Thank you.
Wayne.

Last edited:

Craner8

CJ-8 Member
Silver Member
City
Orlando
State
FL
Wayne, I did not use silicone between fenders and cowl. Silicone may trap water and facilitate rust. I used a black soft cording/flat- strip caulking or polyester fill made by 3M available at auto parts stores. It remains flexible and I have not had any rust issues.

John N

Addicted....Ex-SOA VP
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Rockville
State
VA
Wayne, I did not use silicone between fenders and cowl. Silicone may trap water and facilitate rust. I used a black soft cording/flat- strip caulking or polyester fill made by 3M available at auto parts stores. It remains flexible and I have not had any rust issues.
I use the same body caulking material. Works great to seal the bottom of the bulkhead too.

Wayne

Legacy Registered User
City
Cape Coral
State
FL
Thank you to the both of you. I am off to the auto store.
Appreciate it.
Wayne.