Change to shoulder belts? yes or no

jeepbob

Basic User
City
topeka
State
ks
I have an 81 Scrambler that came with retractable lap belts. Before I bought it in 93 some changed the driver side to a non jeep shoulder belt. They drilled a hole through the cab, but not where the indentation for the correct position would be. Then they drilled and hole in the roll bar and tapped that. Now it does not hold very well. The passenger side lap belt is still good but the plastic housing that keeps it upright for easy access is broken so it flops over.

Do I go back to lap belts? She is pretty much all original and untouched.
Do I switch to Shoulder belts? How hard is that? What does the mount on the roll bar look like? Would it be better to have 4X4Land do it as they are local?

FLCJ8

Legacy Registered User
City
Palm Bay
State
FL
It really depends on your future plans for the 8, as well as the condition of your existing top and rollbar.

There is absolutely no doubt that the lap/shoulder belts are much safer for driver/passenger in the event of an accident.

You could modify the existing top and rollbar to accept the lap/shoulder belts.
However, it is no longer stock, and finding parts to return it to stock would not be easy.

If you wanted to go with lap/shoulder belts and keep it as stock as possible, you could get the correct top and rollbar, and store the '81 parts for future replacement.

Or, get an in-cab cage to mount the shoulder belts to. Get the added protection of the cage, and have minimal changes to return it to stock.
Cost wise this may be cheaper as well. You could sell the cage or put it in your new CJ. :rolleyes:

ag4ever

Average Nut
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Richmond
State
TX
I say yes, there is enough danger in a jeep that shoulder belts should be used to at least lessen it some.

jeepbob

Basic User
City
topeka
State
ks
It really depends on your future plans for the 8, as well as the condition of your existing top and rollbar.

There is absolutely no doubt that the lap/shoulder belts are much safer for driver/passenger in the event of an accident.

You could modify the existing top and rollbar to accept the lap/shoulder belts.
However, it is no longer stock, and finding parts to return it to stock would not be easy.

If you wanted to go with lap/shoulder belts and keep it as stock as possible, you could get the correct top and rollbar, and store the '81 parts for future replacement.

Or, get an in-cab cage to mount the shoulder belts to. Get the added protection of the cage, and have minimal changes to return it to stock.
Cost wise this may be cheaper as well. You could sell the cage or put it in your new CJ. :rolleyes:
Top already has hole on drivers side for the jerry rigged belt on that side.