kgt0001

Jeep Restorer
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
San Antonio
State
TX
As my kids have gotten older (both sons in high school- one drives) my wife and I have spent more and more time exploring the Texas Hill Country. We usually take the F250 or Excursion. We love CJ's- but 250 miles sittng on a 30 year old original seat, lack of A/C and noisy top wears on you. The reality is that for most road trips a CJ (especially in stock form) is not terribly comfortable (I know, blasphemy). I set out to find a TJ that would add a little more creature comfort (AC!), when I came across our newest Jeep edition. I ended up picking up a 2008 JK Rubicon 2 door. Having never even been in a Jeep newer than a YJ- I swore I wouldn't like it, I was wrong. I have been taking care of small items- only because I have never bought a Jeep that did not need attention. No oil leaks to repair, fuel systems to fix, steering slop to sort- nothing.... I feel guilty..... What will I do with my time???

Good news is my wife loves it- and drives it a lot more than I thought she would.. Bad news is she won't go for a ride in the CJ anymore :(

I am going to check the torque specs on the suspension to feel useful...

Take care..

Attachments

bigwalton

Picture cravin' AK Postal nut
Staff member
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
We love CJ's- but 250 miles sittng on a 30 year old original seat, lack of A/C and noisy top wears on you.
:rotfl: that's not even a third of a good day. Guess I do have replacement seats at least ;)

I have been taking care of small items- only because I have never bought a Jeep that did not need attention. No oil leaks to repair, fuel systems to fix, steering slop to sort- nothing.... I feel guilty..... What will I do with my time???
Owned an '08 JKU from new until last year and I hate to say you likely just screwed yourself with that comment. Good luck with it but those engines are nothing remotely close to the 4.0 and they have plenty of their very own issues. It served us well enough and my wife loved it, but it took more work than it should have for the age, particularly toward the end. The exhaust manifolds cracking were the final straw (and they all eventually do). Thinking about the job it was to replace them makes me shudder to this day. :shrug:

Hope your experience is better than mine on the maintenance end/fixes.

kgt0001

Jeep Restorer
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
San Antonio
State
TX
[QUOTE="I hate to say you likely just screwed yourself with that comment..[/QUOTE]

Would not be the first time....

[QUOTE="Hope your experience is better than mine on the maintenance end/fixes.[/QUOTE]

Me too!

I did quite a bit of research- exhaust manifolds, lower end engine issues,- looked for the best I could find. As with all things old and mechanical- work will eventually be needed. at what mileage did your exhaust manifold crack?

bigwalton

Picture cravin' AK Postal nut
Staff member
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
I did quite a bit of research- exhaust manifolds, lower end engine issues,- looked for the best I could find. As with all things old and mechanical- work will eventually be needed. at what mileage did your exhaust manifold crack?
...EGR issues, oil consumption, insufficient strength ball joints, front axle tubes bending, suspension brackets ripping off, sector shafts shearing, death wobble :headbang::headbang:

:rotfl: hey, it’s a Jeep, right?

I don’t know exactly when the manifolds first cracked. I could eventually tell it had likely happened and I knew it was going to be a massive PITA so I put it off until I just couldn’t take it anymore. Probably right around 100k.

If I knew what the dealer would give me on it, i would have traded it with them cracked, saved the trouble and moved on. I just never would have guessed they'd give me as much as they ended up doing.

Everything on the passenger side of the engine bay had to come out and then the front lower bolt snapped off in the aluminum head, COMPLETE nightmare :eek: :banghead:

ag4ever

Average Nut
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Richmond
State
TX
Everything on the passenger side of the engine bay had to come out and then the front lower bolt snapped off in the aluminum head, COMPLETE nightmare :eek: :banghead:
With the packaging and space constraints of modern vehicles, repair work is just atrocious. I had to replace the starter on my wife's 200 series Land Cruiser. The starter is behind the passenger side exhaust manifold. The number of parts needed to be removed just to get access to the starter was ridiculous. To make it worse, I thought I would save a couple hundred and buy a re-man starter from the local auto parts store. Nope, it was intermittent straight from the box. Meaning I got to do the job twice and spend the extra money for a factory unit. I was fortunate that my wife had given me a set of tite-reach wrench extensions, and they came in very handy on several bolts.

Tite Reach

titereach4packsmall_600x.jpg

designerRob

CJ-8 Member
CJ-8.com Member
City
Allen Park
State
MI
With the packaging and space constraints of modern vehicles, repair work is just atrocious. I had to replace the starter on my wife's 200 series Land Cruiser. The starter is behind the passenger side exhaust manifold. The number of parts needed to be removed just to get access to the starter was ridiculous. To make it worse, I thought I would save a couple hundred and buy a re-man starter from the local auto parts store. Nope, it was intermittent straight from the box. Meaning I got to do the job twice and spend the extra money for a factory unit. I was fortunate that my wife had given me a set of tite-reach wrench extensions, and they came in very handy on several bolts.
AMEN brother! I replaced the starter on my 07' Hemi Grand Cherokee. It was incredible how little space there is to work on something like this. I had to reach one hand in from the driver wheelwell and one from underneath. Let alone being able to even see what's going on. I won't own a new vehicle again without it being under full warranty.

Belizeit

CJ-8 Member
CJ-8.com Member
City
River Ridge
State
La
My buddy is a master mechanic over at Lexus. To get the job done he has a toolbox the size of a small aircraft carrier with probably 60-80 thousand dollars of tools. This is just 1 drawer of many dozens of drawers. Takes the right tool to get the job done, or you just die trying image.jpeg