Choke Thermostat Question

Wayne

Legacy Registered User
City
Cape Coral
State
FL
Hello:

I am having issues with my themostat that is coupled to a BBD 2 barrel Carter carburetor.
The jeep will start and run at idle, but when I try to run it - it splutters and I cannot give the Jeep any gas - I just cleaned the carburetor.
I installed a new choke pull of (the old one was bad) and it's working fine - I removed the red wire that is attached to the thermostat and ran the wire from the thermostat to the positive side of the battery. After a few minutes the choke opened - so it seems that the thermostat is working but not getting power? Would the thermostat have a fuse? Would there be any other reason why it would not work?

Thanks,
Wayne.

Dave The Sparky

Scrambling Across The Pond
City
Halifax
State
UK
Its powered from a switch that closes when oil pressure is up (engine running) so its possible that is faulty or the connector/wiring is.
Switch is at the back of the engine on the passenger side, its the smaller unit on this photo with the two terminals stuck up (not my engine far too shiny!) other unit is the oil pressure sender.
I would start there before chasing fuses as i would imagine other things on your Jeep wouldn't be working if the fuse had blown.

pressure-switch-jpg.2971161

Wayne

Legacy Registered User
City
Cape Coral
State
FL
Looks like that end is OK.
Any idea if there is a fuse for that?
Thanks.

Dave The Sparky

Scrambling Across The Pond
City
Halifax
State
UK
Looking at the wiring diagrams its the backup lamp fuse which should be 10 amp.
If your backup lamps are still working then you need to check the operation of that switch mentioned above.
Easiest way if you dont have a tester is unplug the switch and jumper a wire between the terminals on the plug with the ignition on (engine doesn't need to run) and see if the choke opens, if it does the switch is faulty.
This is all assuming your wiring harness is standard of course 😁

Wayne

Legacy Registered User
City
Cape Coral
State
FL
Looking at the wiring diagrams its the backup lamp fuse which should be 10 amp.
If your backup lamps are still working then you need to check the operation of that switch mentioned above.
Easiest way if you dont have a tester is unplug the switch and jumper a wire between the terminals on the plug with the ignition on (engine doesn't need to run) and see if the choke opens, if it does the switch is faulty.
This is all assuming your wiring harness is standard of course 😁
As far as I know it's standard - I got her in about 1990 and no one has touched the wiring since.
Interesting - will check the back up lamp fuse - cheers.
On another note - I enjoyed the thread on the 1981 Scrambler - i remember reading it when you first posted it. The photos reminds me on my Mum & Dads place and there allotment.
Once again - thanks you very much Sir.

Wayne

Legacy Registered User
City
Cape Coral
State
FL
For those that eyeballed this thread - I came to an ending with the issue.
For what its worth - We traced the red wire all over the engine bay and found no issue, ended up tracing the red wire under the dash and found an issue with the red wire that went/goes to the back of a bulb in the cluster. Took the buld out, clean the terminal, sprayed a can of air in the connection applied the bulb - and low and behold the 25AMP fuse did not pop and the thermostat worked just fine.
AMAZING.