• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

Chopped Top

Mike's8

City
Ranchos de Taos
State
NM
I have a half cab for my 8 that has been cut into three separate pieces with a saws-all by the previous owner for reasons unknown. I've never worked with fiberglass before, can this be put back together, be structurally sound and look like new?

Does anyone make a reproduction half cab for CJ8'S?

walkerhoundvm

Just trying to stay upright
Lifetime Member
City
Cave Creek
State
AZ
Too bad, I sold one just a month ago or so, and I'll be passing through NM in July.

IAFFCJ

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Manassas
State
VA
I’d have to agree that finding another one would be your best bet. The work that would go into repairing the cut up one. Would be extensive for sure.

Mike's8

City
Ranchos de Taos
State
NM
No pictures at this point but it was cut through each rear pillar at the top of the window opening. Looks like I'll be using the top portion as a sunshade on my tractor and as I get a little further along in the project start putting feelers out for a used top.

FLCJ8

Legacy Registered User
City
Palm Bay
State
FL
No pictures at this point but it was cut through each rear pillar at the top of the window opening. Looks like I'll be using the top portion as a sunshade on my tractor and as I get a little further along in the project start putting feelers out for a used top.
You may want to try reaching out to Jeff (Jscherb). He has done a lot of modifications with various Jeep tops and understands the different material types used. I'm sure he would be happy to give you some suggestions, or direct you to one of his many tutorials.
He doesn't come here too often anymore since he's into newer Jeeps now.
He is very active on Jeepforum.

b2esq

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Glen Allen
State
VA
Random (and single) point of reference. My hard top has two cracks in the fiberglass. One from the drivers side bottom of the window to the edge of the top and the other (about 4” in length) right at the rear-most point of the passenger’s side door opening. I got a quote today (So. Fla.) for $1,000 to repair the two cracks and re-paint the top...

I’m either going to pitch the top entirely (I have an OEM soft top in great shape), or start looking for another hard top.

My two cents’ worth... ymmv...

B2

Kim Dawson

CJ-8 Member
City
Molalla
State
Or
Random (and single) point of reference. My hard top has two cracks in the fiberglass. One from the drivers side bottom of the window to the edge of the top and the other (about 4” in length) right at the rear-most point of the passenger’s side door opening. I got a quote today (So. Fla.) for $1,000 to repair the two cracks and re-paint the top...

I’m either going to pitch the top entirely (I have an OEM soft top in great shape), or start looking for another hard top.

My two cents’ worth... ymmv...

B2
Cracks are not that hard to repair. Wear a quality dust mask and grind the area down a little and put glass and fiberglass mat overlapping the crack about an inch on each side. Use more than one layer of mat and then smooth it down when dry and add some glass cloth overlapping the mat. I don't like grinding on fiberglass any more than I have to (damaged my lungs doing that when I was young) so I finish it off with a bondo type body filler to get it blended smooth. It's not that difficult working with fiberglass (wear gloves), just be cautious of the dust.

barrys

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
East Norriton
State
PA
When sanding fiberglass, if you have exposed skin and are sweating, the dust can get in your pores and irritate the heck out of you, uncomfortable and can hurt.