• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

CJ-7 Limited question, because I have to win Facebook

AK-RWC

Legacy Registered User
Gold Member
City
south central
State
AK
What was the production run for the Limited? Was it just 1982 and 1983? (Because I thought they were available for more than just two years.)

How many were produced? How many were sold? (Someone is claiming 2500 were to be built, but only 300 actually got made/sold. I thought the Jamboree was more rare than the Limited, and anecdotally, it seems like we see fewer Golden Hawks and Spring Specials.)

BRKLYNZ28

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
BROOKLYN
State
NY
It was a 2 year run and in my opinion is rarer then a jamboree but has no number tag to prove it.

Sent from my SM-N910P

BRKLYNZ28

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
BROOKLYN
State
NY
But the most rarest is the scorpion addition

Sent from my SM-N910P

jerseyjeeps

Crazy about AMC Jeeps
Lifetime Member
City
Landing
State
NJ
It was barely a two year run as in you see 85%-90% percent 82's and 10-15% percent 83's. The package was much more expensive than the already expensive Laredo package and didn't sell well. I guess less than 500 were made meaning more rare than a Jambo per se, but butt ugly compared to a Jambo also. :eek:

AK-RWC

Legacy Registered User
Gold Member
City
south central
State
AK
It was barely a two year run as in you see 85%-90% percent 82's and 10-15% percent 83's. The package was much more expensive than the already expensive Laredo package and didn't sell well. I guess less than 500 were made meaning more rare than a Jambo per se, but butt ugly compared to a Jambo also. :eek:

D@mn. That means I lose the Internet.

mr. boh

CJ-8 Member
City
Annapolis
State
MD
My numbers-based sample of 1982 CJ7s is small (0.01%) so the number I give is most likely skewed high...~1900 Limiteds just for 1982 production. Now if you are talking rare, I'd argue the 82 Super Star was rarer than the Limited.

BRKLYNZ28

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
BROOKLYN
State
NY
My numbers-based sample of 1982 CJ7s is small (0.01%) so the number I give is most likely skewed high...~1900 Limiteds just for 1982 production. Now if you are talking rare, I'd argue the 82 Super Star was rarer than the Limited.

Stay on topic or else someone will yell at you

im just saying someone else told me also :shrug: lol

wm69

Scrambler Junkie
Silver Member
Lifetime Member
City
God's Country
State
AR

Quoted for truth. Can't get past the painted flares and blue leather grab bar and steering wheel.

Jambo

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Cincinnati
State
OH
And the black winshield frame and upper door frames! :eek:

I have to admit, I kind of liked the color-matched interior (dash, steering wheel, carpet, headliner, A/C, console, etc.). I am NOT a fan of the fender flares or the black windshield/door uppers. The latter always made it look unfinished to me.

jerseyjeeps

Crazy about AMC Jeeps
Lifetime Member
City
Landing
State
NJ
I so hated the black upper frames / windshield frame that when I restored a mist silver 83 roughly 6 years ago I chose not to do that to it , and also chose not to paint the dash panel blue.

jerseyjeeps

Crazy about AMC Jeeps
Lifetime Member
City
Landing
State
NJ
dc97fe3b5a7fba425d3f5409017e4a13-1.jpg

easttex

Basic User
City
gilmer
State
tx
I bought my Brother -in-laws' 1983 CJ-7 that is in bad shape. I started taking it apart to see what I bought and I believe it is a Limited. The paint code is 9E and trim code is 3EB. I can't find the 9E paint code in the 1983 color chart. It appears it was originally a gray color but the interior is brown. I believe the seats to be factory original but they could have come from anywhere. Can anyone tell me what color 9E is and if this is in fact a Limited.

AK-RWC

Legacy Registered User
Gold Member
City
south central
State
AK
I bought my Brother -in-laws' 1983 CJ-7 that is in bad shape. I started taking it apart to see what I bought and I believe it is a Limited. The paint code is 9E and trim code is 3EB. I can't find the 9E paint code in the 1983 color chart. It appears it was originally a gray color but the interior is brown. I believe the seats to be factory original but they could have come from anywhere. Can anyone tell me what color 9E is and if this is in fact a Limited.

Show us pics. Even if it was a Limited but all the "limitedness" of it is gone, it's value as a Limited is mostly lost as well. It's like getting a Jamboree that only has the dash plaque; nobody cares.

Kim Dawson

CJ-8 Member
City
Molalla
State
Or
If it was originally sold as a Limited, then I don't see anything wrong with gathering the parts that make it a Limited and painting it as it came from the factory. It will never be unrestored original, but it can be restored as original. You've already got it, so it's not like you are spending extra money because it was once equipped as a Limited. If the seats are original, then it was probably delivered with the nutmeg interior. If you think it would be cool to have a Limited CJ-7, then put it back that way.

Polarfire

Jeep Aficionado
Lifetime Member
City
Columbia
State
MO

Here are the trim tag codes: https://www.cj-8.com/content.php?37-Paint-Interior-and-Drive-Train-Codes

There was not a "9E"...9B was Olympic White.