CJ7 Soft Top Modified for a Scrambler

rfsnyder

Basic User
City
Madison
State
AL
I bought a good used CJ7 best top (frame and rails) with the plans to modify for my scrambler. Has anyone done such? Currently, I have no plans to modify the frame at all, just the soft-top itself. I figure this will make it look like a "fastback" style with the slanted back section or best top call is the Trektop. Any comments, suggestions, warnings on doing such? Anyone have an pictures?

gr8dain

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
SOA Member
City
Ashburn
State
VA
Welcome. There are a few pictures here where cj7 tops were modified. I remember seeing one that looked pretty good. The top came down normal like for a 7 then had a flat section to cover the rest. It was nutmeg or honey colored if I remember correctly. Don't know what to tell you to help you search though. Good luck.

Dain

FLCJ8

Legacy Registered User
City
Palm Bay
State
FL
I bought a good used CJ7 best top (frame and rails) with the plans to modify for my scrambler. Has anyone done such? Currently, I have no plans to modify the frame at all, just the soft-top itself. I figure this will make it look like a "fastback" style with the slanted back section or best top call is the Trektop. Any comments, suggestions, warnings on doing such? Anyone have an pictures?
Here is one from long ago.
Fastback Top.jpg
I can't find the pics I saved at the time, but I'm sure 1BADCJ8 (a long time member) has plenty info and pics.
He went by Danno back then.

rfsnyder

Basic User
City
Madison
State
AL
Thanks for the picts.... I'm think of doing one like FLCJ8 pict... exactly what I was looking for. So has anyone done this themselves.. or out sourced to an upholstery shop? I have a little upholstery experience, nothing major.. but thinking of tackling this myself.

John N

Addicted....Ex-SOA VP
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
SOA Member
City
Rockville
State
VA
That was Dan Cole/1badcj8 on here. He runs the Colorado Scramble.

Joe West

Arizona Virtual Jeep Club
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Laurinburg
State
NC
Why would one do this? To save money? because you like the look? Some other reason? Personally, I do not think this mod looks very good, but then again, I like stock scramblers the best. :-)

rfsnyder

Basic User
City
Madison
State
AL
Guys,

Thanks for the replies.. this is exactly what I was looking for. I wanted to see examples for two reasons.. to see what they did look like, and yes, because it's cheaper to get a used CJ7 top then a CJ8. Not many CJ8 soft-tops available in my region, and I've been looking for some time. Didn't want to go new.. way too expensive for my budget build, for I have lots of other add-ons to incorporate.

Much appreciated as always!

Kim Dawson

CJ-8 Member
CJ-8.com Member
City
Molalla
State
Or
If you are going to take a CJ7 top and add on to the back sections to create the slant back to save money, it might be easier to section the top and add the extra 18 inches and add an extra bow to the CJ7 bows and end up with a full soft top. It would seem like you are going to have the top modified to fit anyway, so why not add another bow to the CJ7 bows and make the top more roomy while you are at it, unless you just like the slant back look. If you could find a used full soft top cheap enough, it might be less expensive than buying and extending the CJ7 top. The CJ7 top bows will fit the front and the back of your 8 and will leave you with an extra 18" between the bows. You just need to look at CJ8 top bows and add the extra bow in a similar fashion. Being on a budget, seems like extending the CJ7 bows to fit a used CJ8 top might be less expensive.

jerseyjeeps

Crazy about AMC Jeeps
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Landing
State
NJ
Ill be doing this to make an extended bikini top out of an export non window white whitco CJ7 top. I hope to have it ready for later this summer.

Grantshire

Legacy Registered User
City
Richmond
State
VA
Me! 😛

I used it one summer then put a half cab on mine. The top has been stored ever since along with my factor soft half cab top.

I was just looking at full soft tops and came across this on Google. That fast back top was my soft top I had made in Denver... It was a very cool top! I didn't even remember who I sold it to.