jerseyjeeps

Crazy about AMC Jeeps
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Landing
State
NJ
I wanted to post up on here about this before venturing over to other forums and I don't even have accounts over there to see so maybe someone on here knows about this thing :wave:

Back in August I stopped at Rudys CJs to pick up some not so shippable stuff for one of our forum members. This was siting there and by the end of the day we agreed on a price. It came with many extra parts and a CJ nose not shown and etc. from what I know it was built sometime 07-08 by a guy in MD and the frame was stretched from a CJ 7 1985 but the wheelbase was stretched 6 inches longer than a scrambler and the body stretched accordingly therefore no full tops from an 8 or LJ stuff will fit. There is a 2001 4.0 under the hood with new 5spd and stainless custom exhaust. The body is boatsided and the weld and fab work is exceptional. The frame is completely slab sided with reinforcement kit the entire length. The frame was mint to start with.

My current plan is to possibly sell the body tub keep the frame for a CJ10-a tug cab with a Australian style 10' tray back style bed and eliminate the bobbed look but I really just want to see if anybody knew about this thing and comments or suggestions and to share it first on the best jeep forum on earth :cheers:

Kim Dawson

CJ-8 Member
CJ-8.com Member
City
Molalla
State
Or
Lot of work went into extending that 7. The tub will be homeless without the frame. Why not complete what was started. Have a custom soft top made to fit. Have a good looking one-of-a-kind. I think it is porportioned nicely. A full soft top with the back at the same angle as the roll bar would look nice. Being longer than an 8, call it a CJ9.

jerseyjeeps

Crazy about AMC Jeeps
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Landing
State
NJ
I like your CJ9 idea. :)
Since I can't stand the bobbed look, I would add a proportional amount of bed length to make it a 20% bigger scrambler if I do keep the tub. I am definitely keeping the frame and have regardless always wanted to do a tug cab based rig.

certifiablejeep

Definitley Certifiable
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Bedford
State
NH
I saw this rig a few weeks back... very nicely done and really a ton of work/effort was put into it, it will make someone very happy.

cb

jscherb

CJ-8 Member
CJ-8.com Member
City
Elmira
State
NY
You could always put a Scrambler half cab on it, probably would need a custom bulkhead but that wouldn't be too hard to fabricate.

How long is it? Hmmm...

Kim Dawson

CJ-8 Member
CJ-8.com Member
City
Molalla
State
Or
As long as you are extending the bed, if you didn't need the roll cage, you could make it an extended cab. Could be a custom soft top or cut down a cj7 hardtop. I've been collecting pieces for an extended Scrambler sometime in the future. I figured I'd move the fender well sheetmetal outward to leave a wider area between the wells. They were made to fit narrow track so even just having the stock wide track should make it easy to get a couple inches off of each side. The Safari top looks awesome.

jscherb

CJ-8 Member
CJ-8.com Member
City
Elmira
State
NY
An extended half cab is an interesting idea - it's pretty straightforward to make one in the Safari Cab molds. Here's one I did a few years ago on a friend's LJ.

Depending on how the tub has been lengthened, it might be possible to use a stock Scrambler bulkhead mounted behind the tub extension (in the stock location, basically), and do a lengthened half cab to match up with it.

With side windows drawn in...

jerseyjeeps

Crazy about AMC Jeeps
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Landing
State
NJ
An extended half cab is an interesting idea - it's pretty straightforward to make one in the Safari Cab molds. Here's one I did a few years ago on a friend's LJ.

Depending on how the tub has been lengthened, it might be possible to use a stock Scrambler bulkhead mounted behind the tub extension (in the stock location, basically), and do a lengthened half cab to match up with it.

With side windows drawn in...

Jeff, thanks so much for the awesome renderings as usual. Ill take some exact measurements this weekend to see exactly what dimensions have grown and how much.

jscherb

CJ-8 Member
CJ-8.com Member
City
Elmira
State
NY
I like it just as it is bee a nice beach buggy
My perfect beach configuration would be to remove the doors and hard sides and put on roll-up soft sides instead. Keeps the sun off but still provides an open-air experience, and the hard roof provides a place for gear or a roof-top tent :)

gr8dain

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Ashburn
State
VA
My perfect beach configuration would be to remove the doors and hard sides and put on roll-up soft sides instead. Keeps the sun off but still provides an open-air experience, and the hard roof provides a place for gear or a roof-top tent :)

You are a superb artist and have a way with renderings as well as fabrication. Bravo.

jscherb

CJ-8 Member
CJ-8.com Member
City
Elmira
State
NY
You are a superb artist and have a way with renderings as well as fabrication. Bravo.
Thank you very much :).

I try to make my drawings a reasonable representation of reality... here's a photo of my LJ with a similar configuration, this was taken in Colorado in September.

By making my drawings fairly close to reality, I can see what something will look like before I go to the trouble of building it :).

gr8dain

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Ashburn
State
VA
Thank you very much :).

I try to make my drawings a reasonable representation of reality... here's a photo of my LJ with a similar configuration, this was taken in Colorado in September.

By making my drawings fairly close to reality, I can see what something will look like before I go to the trouble of building it :).
I love your LJ. That is the one with the CJ front fab work, right?

scramble1983

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Dallas
State
tx
Looks great as is ... You need a "custom" jeep in your collection . Also a great jeep to let the dogs ride / sleep in

Bobs85Reny

Legacy Registered User
City
Wayne
State
NJ
Hey What about a commando top it. Might need some modification but you may get it to fit with a little grafting work. Graft a Commando hood with the CJ hood and you would have one unique Commando
commando.jpg