CJ7 Supertop fit on a CJ8?

Jim S

Basic User
City
Bay Shore
State
NY
I've got an ‘84 CJ8 that I'm thinking of installing a new CJ7 soft top. The idea is to have it open at the rear end, kind of a 3/4 length top. This will require some minor fabric mods to the rear edge of the top and the side curtains. My main question pertains to the roll bar height:

Is the height of the CJ8 rollbar the same as the CJ7 in relation to the top of the windshield and tub sides?

Next, where can one buy the denim spice soft top fabric? I may want to make custom dude panels for the 'short' top.

Thanks in advance!

Randyzzz

Blown Budget
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
SOA Member
City
Redmond
State
OR
I did this. Made a panel to cover the rear opening. Loved the functionality, but wasn’t too sure about the look. Had considered removing the tailgate and making a prerunner spare mount, but that never happened.

Jim S

Basic User
City
Bay Shore
State
NY
I did this. Made a panel to cover the rear opening. Loved the functionality, but wasn’t too sure about the look. Had considered removing the tailgate and making a prerunner spare mount, but that never happened.
Any photos? That would help me make up my mind on this idea. I would make small, custom side curtains and keep the rear open. Sort of a shortened open safari top. I have a Windjammer panel to seal the cockpit.

Jim S

Basic User
City
Bay Shore
State
NY
Found my Photobucket pics.
Very cool! So no problems fitting the CJ7 top over the CJ8 rollbar?
My idea is to go without the rear window panel and the curved 'corner' panels. I would tension with straps, similar to the bikini top. These shots give me a good idea of what it would look like though!

Thanks!

Randyzzz

Blown Budget
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
SOA Member
City
Redmond
State
OR
Very cool! So no problems fitting the CJ7 top over the CJ8 rollbar?
My idea is to go without the rear window panel and the curved 'corner' panels. I would tension with straps, similar to the bikini top. These shots give me a good idea of what it would look like though!

Thanks!
Fit perfect. The only difficult part was the rear corners, they sorta “ floated” around the curve, and then clamped the straight portion.