• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

CJ8 on a JL frame?

gr8dain

Old and Slow
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Ashburn
State
VA
Am I crazy? I picked up a 1981 Laredo last week and the frame is in rough shape. A friend has a JL chassis for sale with suspension and wheels. I know the HL is 3.1 inches longer in wheelbase. But I don’t think that is a deal breaker. Checking on other dimensions of the frame now. Would I be crazy to put a Scrambler frame on a JL?

rubclt

BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Charlotte
State
NC
Am I crazy? I picked up a 1981 Laredo last week and the frame is in rough shape. A friend has a JL chassis for sale with suspension and wheels. I know the HL is 3.1 inches longer in wheelbase. But I don’t think that is a deal breaker. Checking on other dimensions of the frame now. Would I be crazy to put a Scrambler frame on a JL?
Sounds cool… Here is an thread on JK https://www.cj-8.com/threads/scrambler-on-a-jk-unlimited-frame-build.44502/

I did this frame on my Cj8

BBBDC473-7572-4A51-BE9E-627725EFD9D6.jpeg

A few thoughts from frame swap…

Axle 66.5” to 68” wide on JL vs 56” wide track CJ. will mean tire stick out 5” on each and depends on wheel back spacing.

Wheel selection is tricky because of backspacing needed to clear steering knuckle

Steering options get tricky on location of steering box.

Shock towers on JL front might require inner fender trim, not sure about rear.

Body mount on JL frame likely in wrong location and too wide as the body is about foot wider

Likely others have thoughts and anything is possible with imagination, time, skills and money. Look forward to seeing your next steps, well wishes

gr8dain

Old and Slow
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Ashburn
State
VA
Sounds cool… Here is an thread on JK https://www.cj-8.com/threads/scrambler-on-a-jk-unlimited-frame-build.44502/

View attachment 104426

Axle 66.5” to 68” wide on JL vs 56” wide track CJ. will mean tire stick out 5” on each and depends on wheel back spacing.

Wheel selection is tricky because of backspacing needed to clear steering knuckle

Body mount on JL frame likely in wrong location and too wide as the body is about foot wider

Likely others have thoughts and anything is possible with imagination, time, skills and money. Look forward to seeing your next steps, well wishes

Yeah, the width had me questioning it. I got two diagrams with measurements for a JL frame and a Scrambler frame. It will take some serious adjustments to make it work.

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
Why? To sell? You just built yours into a great DD. Why get into all of this?

What drivetrain are you going to run? I would think trying to make that drivetrain with computers work in a scrambler is going to make getting the 4.0 running look like installing an LED light.

Truck

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Manassas
State
Va

What drivetrain are you going to run? I would think trying to make that drivetrain with computers work in a scrambler is going to make getting the 4.0 running look like installing an LED light.
Agree....too much work, I think you should just pass it along to me as I have a restored frame and no good tub. :thumbsup:

Truck

sdsupilot

CJ-8 Member
City
OKC
State
OK
I would only do it if you want something that rides like a modern vehicle on road and is great offroad. In all seriousness I would love to see this built. The JL axles are pretty descent right from the factory. 35" tires with factory wheels will be about 75" overall width.

My choice would be LS with a 4l60E or 6l80 to a drivers drop 241C with the SYE. Save the headache and buy a standalone engine/trans harness. Last one we did on a scout was like 5 electrical connections.

Now the less fun part. Develop a realistic budget and decide if this project is something you want to take on.

gr8dain

Old and Slow
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Ashburn
State
VA
I am not sure what I was smoking last night. I don’t need this in my life. I will probably part it all out. Who wants a propane conversion kit?

gr8dain

Old and Slow
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Ashburn
State
VA

View attachment 104426

I thought about getting a TDK frame. But those are too nice ($$) for me.

gr8dain

Old and Slow
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Ashburn
State
VA
Agree....too much work, I think you should just pass it along to me as I have a restored frame and no good tub. :thumbsup:

Truck

Have you see the pics? The tub isn’t great either.

gr8dain

Old and Slow
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Ashburn
State
VA

Yeah, I would probably end up selling it. It was just crazy thoughts because I know someone with a JL chassis he is selling. And it got an LS in my mind.

sdsupilot

CJ-8 Member
City
OKC
State
OK
With the front disconnect?

I see them snapped on the sand dunes often.

LOL, true the disco is definitely their weakest point. The JL is quite a bit heavier. Even with all the benefits of the newer dana 30/44 they still have a few negatives.

Randyzzz

Blown Budget
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Redmond
State
OR
I am not sure what I was smoking last night. I don’t need this in my life. I will probably part it all out. Who wants a propane conversion kit?
Ah, the grand plans we concoct after a few stiff drinks awaken that hidden imagination and drive.

I’m still wondering if I have the initiative to build that Jeepster I bought, especially considering how I’ve been able to complete my Scrambler so quickly. 🤣

jpnmaine

City
East Wilton
State
ME
Be a neat project. I am just finishing up a YJ tub on a TJ frame. For the tub, I found that the two rear tub mounts were key to line the bed up properly on the TJ frame. There is definitely massaging required. 97 frame and 04 Rubicon drive. Can bus is the next challenge or will go 97 OBD2.
Shop needs a clean out.

Attachments

• 20220810_151831.jpg
    20220810_151831.jpg
    148.6 KB · Views: 28
  • 20220123_143302.jpg
    20220123_143302.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 28
  • 20220126_183024.jpg
    20220126_183024.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 28

Chamba

Not obsessed: focused.
City
Vero Beach
State
FL
Be a neat project. I am just finishing up a YJ tub on a TJ frame. For the tub, I found that the two rear tub mounts were key to line the bed up properly on the TJ frame. There is definitely massaging required. 97 frame and 04 Rubicon drive. Can bus is the next challenge or will go 97 OBD2.
Shop needs a clean out.
Do you have a link for this? How have I missed this?!

jpnmaine

City
East Wilton
State
ME
I have taken pics but haven't posted. Didn't feel it fit and it has become my distraction...much to the dismay of my wife...it has however allowed me to expirement and learn more metal body work. The 8 will thank me when I refocus on that body.

don87401

Original Owner
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Farmington
State
NM
I stretched a 2000 TJ frame to put a 57 CJ6 body on it. It was work but I got to come out pretty good.

Last edited:

Shark Bait

CJ-8 Member
City
Charleston
State
WV
I did an Aqualu aluminum CJ-8 tub on a new JKU frame. A lot of modifications to the tub and frame. I was starting the build from the ground up so I’m not sure if that is easier than not.

Attachments

• 5638BA54-C87C-4F67-A2DE-A6953565943A.jpeg
    5638BA54-C87C-4F67-A2DE-A6953565943A.jpeg
    138.5 KB · Views: 27

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
I did an Aqualu aluminum CJ-8 tub on a new JKU frame. A lot of modifications to the tub and frame. I was starting the build from the ground up so I’m not sure if that is easier than not.
Good to see you back on… how is that project?