• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

CJ8 Restoration for beginners

j_amee

Basic User
Hi everyone ,
i've been reading off ur boards for a few weeks now, trying to get ideas together on where to begin restoring a lovely 82 CJ8 i just purchased, but i can't decipher half of what u all talk about.:) ( BTW, what does "bobbed" mean?) Is there somewhere i can go to find out where to begin? :D i'd appreciate a nudge in the right direction.
jme;)
82 CJ8

CJ8Rockcrawler

The FABLED 8
Lifetime Member
City
Minneapolis
State
MN
How much restoration is your Scrambler in need of? I did a complete frame off on mine and installed a fiberglass body on it while making a few other improvements too.

You can find it on my webpage... the link is at the bottom of this post.

btw... bobbing refers to shortening the rear overhang on the scrambler. Usually the rear few inches are cut off 10 inches or so is cut out and removed and then the rear few inches are welded back on. Basically it makes the rear of the scrambler look like the rear of a CJ-7. The bobbed scrambler still retains the extra 10 inches of wheelbase though.

Let me know if you have any other questions about the buildup.

Kyle

highlander

Basic User
City
Santa Cruz
State
Ca
Hey J-amee ,
Just ask any! Everyone here is ready to help you. A good group of people. Just ask away and everyone will help out.

Also use the search button too!!

dadscj8

SOA Charter Member
City
Tucson
State
AZ
Welcome to the Scrambler family. I have been raised on and around Jeeps for years and i still am learning so don't let yourself be intimidated. This board is very friendly, you won't get shot down for asking questions. We'd love to see your Scrambler too, so post a pic for us.

Dwain

Basic User
City
Baytown
State
TX
Restoration

JME,
Again, welcome to the board. I had never owned a Jeep prior to this Scrambler. My son and I are finishing a frame off for his daily driver. God willing, he'll be driving it by the end of August. I hesitate to say "done", because I understand you never get "done". One of the first things that I did was to buy a Jeep Technical Service Manual off of eBay. Also, go ahead and pick up a Haynes and Chilton's off of there too. Mostly, don't get in a hurry. If you don't understand something, find someone to explain it to you. You can tear up alot of stuff by forcing it! This board is a great place to get information/explanation. And, whatever you do, don't be afraid to post questions. Remeber, "there are no dumb questions, only dumb people that ask questions"! Good Luck - Dwain

fisherman

Whew, was that you?
City
brunswick
State
md
restore

Jme,
I, like you, are new to the world of CJ8s. I got some real good advice from someone on this board...Figure out what you want to make out of your jeep. Are you going to restore to stock or make it a slightly modifed cool guy daily driver or an awsome rockclimber. Once you make up your mind than start at the begining. My choice of where to start was easy cause my frame was about to fall apart in the middle so I gotta start from the ground up but I do have a plan so I know where I am going I just have no idea how to get there :D But the people on this board have so much info running around in thier heads that I don't think it's going to be a problem. Take care and good luck!

j_amee

Basic User
Wow guys, thanks for all the friendly advice, i really appreciate it!:) My CJ8 is in need of serious repair. the guy who had it before me had no love in his heart for my poor baby, so i've definately got my work cut out for me. he used it mainly for off road.... he put a 55-gallon gas tank in the bed, and it takes up the entire space (for weekending)....the tub seems to be in ok shape, but rust is on the way; the fenders, grill, doors and tire wells have been sacraficed to the rust gods already....i'm trying to decide if i want to just replace the tub or not. a steel tub is around 3K, and a fiberglass is 2K. i want a climber that will get me to and fro daily. i'm just so excited that i have something that (relatively speaking) nobody else does---and that looks cool as hell!!;) i'll post some pictures soon. i'm working under the body first, so don't expect too much!:)
thanx again,
jme:)
p.s. thanks for translating 'bobbed'!

j_amee

Basic User
isn't a cj8 from the front doors forward the same as the cj7 & cj5? i found some parts at a junk yard (windsheild, doors, grill) that are in great shape, but they're off a the 5 & 7. this isn't a problem is it? thanx
jme;)

CJ8Rockcrawler

The FABLED 8
Lifetime Member
City
Minneapolis
State
MN
The windshield, doors etc. from a 7 will be the same, but not everything from the 5 will be. The doors for instance are different and the front clip (grille, fenders) will be different depending on the year. If you get anything form the late 70s or the 80s, you should be fine.

Kyle

BIG_Mark

Old Skool
City
Snohomish
State
WA
Welcome J-Amee,

You are now in the club, I hope you can afford it!

Seriously though I hope you enjoy your CJ-8.

Mrmacrro,

Here is my CJ-8 its "Bobbed"

j_amee

Basic User
that is a lovely bobbed job!!:D thanx for sharing. tell me about expensive, the transmission has cost over $1000 thus far!! yikes. :p u would think that i could've picked sewing or something........ lol

jme;)

j_amee

Basic User
has anyone bought jeep parts online thru the jeepclassifieds? a guy has some fenders and doors i want, but i'm not sure how to go about purchasing them......thanx
jme;)

j_amee

Basic User
i bought two new steel fenders, and i'm thinking to replace the tub, so my question is, should i wait for the new tub before i attach the fenders? or go ahead and just rip em off later?
jme:)