CJ8, Scrambler, Renegade, Laredo... How to tell?

MomoJeep

Basic User
City
Seattle
State
WA
So is it correct that there were four variations of trim packages?

- CJ8 (Base)
- Scrambler
- Renegade
- Laredo

?

And since mine is a resto-mod, how can I tell what version it originally was?

sdsupilot

CJ-8 Member
City
OKC
State
OK
Dennis Collins made a pretty thorough Youtube video of this. I personally think the steering wheel (unless its been changed) is the easiest way. Plastic - base, spokes with cut outs - Renegade, solid spokes and leather covering 1/2 the spokes - laredo. There are a bunch of other details to look for as well. The trim tag on the firewall is really the best way to tell what it was coming off the assembly line.

MomoJeep

Basic User
City
Seattle
State
WA
Dennis Collins made a pretty thorough Youtube video of this. I personally think the steering wheel (unless its been changed) is the easiest way. Plastic - base, spokes with cut outs - Renegade, solid spokes and leather covering 1/2 the spokes - laredo. There are a bunch of other details to look for as well. The trim tag on the firewall is really the best way to tell what it was coming off the assembly line.
Thanks! Great info!

MomoJeep

Basic User
City
Seattle
State
WA
so then are all CJ8’s also Scramblers? Or is “Scrambler” some kind of package and “CJ8” the base model?

Chamba

Not obsessed: Focused.
City
Vero Beach
State
FL
so then are all CJ8’s also Scramblers? Or is “Scrambler” some kind of package and “CJ8” the base model?
No. Some CJ-8s are also Overlanders or Postals. Scrambler was the American marketing name.

CJ-8 is the design model: Civilian Jeep number 8, and then it in turn can be further defined as a Scrambler (North America), Overlander (Australia/ New Zealand), etc. Then the equipment package is the Base, Renegade, etc.

Everyone agree with this brief synopsis?

Belizeit

CJ-8 Member
Gold Member
City
River Ridge
State
La
Just curious what all the ones down in South America are ?

DeLuke

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Dallas
State
TX
Everyone agree with this brief synopsis?

Overly technical, but from 1981-84 the Renegade and Laredo trims (from the 7's and 5's) were called SR and SL, respectively, on the Scrambler. Each said Scrambler on the hood - instead of Renegade or Laredo. That was the case until 1985 until they were truly called Renegades and Laredo and got the respective hood lettering just like the 7s of that year.

DeLuke

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Dallas
State
TX
I've monitored the market and seen over a half dozen, but they have mostly been repainted and hard to tell. I have seen a couple that could/might have original paint but no real confidence. From what I can tell, they were branded "CJ-7 Limited." They had our rear CJ7 emblem in the grill area and "Limited" emblem (same as the CJ7's Limited) on the lower edge of the top sides all the way toward the back on both passenger and driver side. Again, no confidence if this is factory but seems so. I have also seen them referred to as long-base CJ7s so not sure whether CJ8 was used or when.

ag4ever

Average Nut
Silver Member
Lifetime Member
City
Richmond
State
TX
Llanero II, but they could be -7 or -8.

Also, they made the YJ-L into the mid 90’s.

Similar to the ones in Israel that were the AIL Storm I models. Made from 91 - 96.

AJ2393

Scrambled in the Head
Silver Member
Lifetime Member
City
North Dighton
State
MA
I don't think I will ever get used to seeing a YJ snout on a CJ style body, especially a CJ-8.