CJ8 Spare Tire Carriers

Ironwood

Basic User
City
Hells Kitchen
State
IL
Sometimes good things happen when you least expect them. I just got my 8 back from major mechanical work on the front end. On the way back, I had to stop suddenly. Out from under the passenger seat slid an original AMC 1982 Jeep Technical Service Manual. Previously, I had been unsure as to how spare tires were originally mounted to the 8's.

According to page 3F-17, the standard method of mounting spares was by a bracket mounted to the roll bar. The rear mounted spare tire carrier was an option as it turns out, though it seems that the vast majority of 8's have the spare mounted on the rear of the vehicle.

This book is great! It has wiring diagrams, diagnostic test info, electrical, body and engine information, plus more.

madjp62

Legacy Registered User
City
albany
State
or
i've seen a few with the tire mounted on the roll bar.always looked cool to me.dose the it have any info about the braket type?any pic showing it?

Ironwood

Basic User
City
Hells Kitchen
State
IL
The manual only has one page covering the spare tire carriers. There is a simple drawing of the part that shows a face plate with two plates attached that bolt over the driver side down bar of the roll cage. It does not list a part number

Truck

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Manassas
State
Va
Those brackets are around..post up in the wanted section..they also come up on ebay every now and again

Truck

cj84x

rebuilding
City
Salisbury
State
NC
On the 82 that I had when living at home I had that roll bar mounted carrier but the 36's wouldn't mount to it so I found an old 7 in a yard to steal the rear mounted one from. Wish I still had that 82 but at least I got my 81 now.

BTW I still have the original owners manual from the 82 I just gotta find it at this point.