CJ8 vs Scrambler

Jan-Erik

Basic User
City
Oslo
State
AH
Hello,

I have a 1982 Scrambler. I was wondering though, is "Scrambler" just a name for CJ8, or is there a difference between CJ8 and Scrambler?

My Scrambler is a pickup version with a "straight" rollbar to fit the hardtop. Today I saw an ad for a CJ8 in Norway for sale. This car has a very special hardtop (I would say), and the rollbar is the same as was used on the later CJ7s. Is this car also named "Scrambler" or is it "just" a CJ8? The ad says "Jeep CJ8 Renegade": http://www.autodb.no/cgi-bin/car/detail.pl?nr=2098830#bilder

kohldad

SOA Member
City
Goose Creek
State
SC
Welcome to the best forum for the Scrambler.

Jeep CJ-8 and Jeep Scrambler are the same vehicle. However, there are motorcycles, ATVs, thrill park rides, etc also called Scrambler.

sanderson9

Scrambler Virgin
City
Coral Gables
State
FL
I'm interested in seeing pictures of your setup, with a 'straight' rollbar. The one in the ad looks like it has some version of the 'world cab hardtop'. The Rollbar in the ad looks like the usual one for CJ-8/Scramblers here in the US. The name CJ-8 and Scrambler are synonymous here in the US, but maybe there are naming differences in the european models, just as they are known by different names in India and South America, and have numerous top and seating configurations. Let us know what you find out

Jan-Erik

Basic User
City
Oslo
State
AH
kohldad said:
Welcome to the best forum for the Scrambler.

Jeep CJ-8 and Jeep Scrambler are the same vehicle. However, there are motorcycles, ATVs, thrill park rides, etc also called Scrambler.
Ok, so CJ8 = Scrambler.
What about the different option models such as Renegade, Golden Eagle, Laredo, etc. Did the CJ8 have the same option models?

And what about the car in the link I posted vs mine (see image). I mean, they obviously are different models... or option / equipment models:

My Scrambler:

CJ8 Renegade

Jan-Erik

Basic User
City
Oslo
State
AH
sanderson9 said:
I'm interested in seeing pictures of your setup, with a 'straight' rollbar. The one in the ad looks like it has some version of the 'world cab hardtop'. The Rollbar in the ad looks like the usual one for CJ-8/Scramblers here in the US. The name CJ-8 and Scrambler are synonymous here in the US, but maybe there are naming differences in the european models, just as they are known by different names in India and South America, and have numerous top and seating configurations. Let us know what you find out
Wow... I like the quick response in this forum:)

Ok, so then it's cleared that the CJ8 is Scrambler. I was told there also was a CJ8 named Wagoneer, and it's different from Scrambler...

You can see more of my Scrambler at: http://www.jeepclubnorway.no/smf/index.php/topic,2535.0.html

Unfortunately the posts are in Norwegian, so I guess it will be hard to understand for the majority here:) Anyway, I'm in the process of taking the whole car apart, and then restore it in mint condition.

revho

$9.00 vanilla malt
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
beaverdam
State
MI
Jan-Erik,

Your Scrambler is more typical of what we see here in the U.S with what is called a half cab which gives it the pick-up look. Like what was stated before, the Green scrambler for sale has what is called a world cab which is a 3 piece removable metal hard top with a barn style door on the rear, and square cornered passenger and drivers doors (vs. the rounded cornered doors for the half cab tops). The world cabs were for export only (except for postal vehciles that went to Alaska in 1984).

Welcome to a great site.

Your scrambler is awesome. How about the specs on it?

Kevin

Jan-Erik

Basic User
City
Oslo
State
AH
revho said:
Jan-Erik,
Your scrambler is awesome. How about the specs on it?
Kevin
Thanks. The specs are:

- 1982 model
- Ford FE 390 CID (6,4L) motor (yeah, I know.. it isn't AMC..)
- Dana 60 rear, Dana 44 front. Taken from a J20
- ProComp 4" lift, with the axels bellow
- 39.5x18 Boggers
- NP 205 transfercase
- C6 automatic transmission (rebuilt)
- 5.13 gears
- Detroit "Soft" lockers in both axels

+ a lot of stuff:)

I can post updates to my project here if you guys are interested. Photos and comments as I go along...

bigwalton

Picture cravin' AK Postal nut
Staff member
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
Jan-Erik said:
I can post updates to my project here if you guys are interested. Photos and comments as I go along...
Uh, yeah ;) we just might be interested :D We love pictures and you sure seem to have a beast of a Scrambler.

To your question on the different trim packages, I know that the Laredo package was available, and I believe you could special order the Renegade package but I don't think the Golden Eagle was available from the factory.

Welcome and please post more pictures ;)

BTW, the link to your Norwegian forum requires you to be a member to get access.

Jan-Erik

Basic User
City
Oslo
State
AH
bigwalton said:
Uh, yeah ;) we just might be interested :D We love pictures and you sure seem to have a beast of a Scrambler.

Welcome and please post more pictures ;)
Alright, I've created a thread for my project: http://www.cj-8.com/forum/showthread.php?t=22578

bigwalton said:
BTW, the link to your Norwegian forum requires you to be a member to get access.
Ohh.. I didn't know that. I'll re-post the more interesting posts in my thread. It's about 40 pages now, so I'll have to do some filtering:)

groundworks3

now THIS is a fire pit!!!
City
Terre Haute
State
IN
Wow,
I think YOUR Scrambler came straight out of my dreams!:D

Seriously thats pretty sweet looking, I had one set-up pretty much like that one, but with how tight things are now, I had to sell off some toys, so I'm in the process of converting my DD to more of a double duty, of course I'm trying to keep it as low as possible because of the DD part;)

Welcome to the forum!!

Great group here!!

Rich

Jan-Erik

Basic User
City
Oslo
State
AH
groundworks3 said:
Wow,
I think YOUR Scrambler came straight out of my dreams!:D

Seriously thats pretty sweet looking, I had one set-up pretty much like that one, but with how tight things are now, I had to sell off some toys, so I'm in the process of converting my DD to more of a double duty, of course I'm trying to keep it as low as possible because of the DD part;)

Welcome to the forum!!

Great group here!!

Rich
Thanks a lot! It´s out of my dreams as well:)

I´m really sorry you had to sell your car. That really sucks.

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone. This seem like a very good forum, and a great group of people. I will for sure continue to read this forum, and post updates on what´s going on with my vehicle.

MarknessMonster

Amiable Jeeper
City
Western
State
CO
While doing some research I came across this older thread. To properly resurrect this thread, I'd like to clarify something that did not get properly answered.

The OP asked about a CJ7-style roll bar that is tilted or angled. While looking at the sale picture, I see the angled bar through the glass of the hard top. So, it begs the question of whether the WC top CJ8 exports also included a tilted roll bar that differed from U.S. Scrambler style roll bars? This may just be a photo illusion.

bigwalton

Picture cravin' AK Postal nut
Staff member
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
Those two rollbars look identical to me.

The World Cab postals have a standard CJ-8 rollbar.

Bogged

CJ-8 Member
CJ-8.com Member
City
Sydney
State
NS
Mine's a laredo. It's got a chrome grill with a black outlining stripe, leather wheel and "oh ****" bar, black with white stripe seats and Laredo stripping.

Longhorn

Basic User
City
Washington Co.
State
TX
Hello,

I have a 1982 Scrambler. I was wondering though, is "Scrambler" just a name for CJ8, or is there a difference between CJ8 and Scrambler?

My Scrambler is a pickup version with a "straight" rollbar to fit the hardtop. Today I saw an ad for a CJ8 in Norway for sale. This car has a very special hardtop (I would say), and the rollbar is the same as was used on the later CJ7s. Is this car also named "Scrambler" or is it "just" a CJ8? The ad says "Jeep CJ8 Renegade": http://www.autodb.no/cgi-bin/car/detail.pl?nr=2098830#bilder
Mine is an 83'. It started life w/258 I6 4-speed half cab hard top. View attachment 14369

View attachment 14370

View attachment 14371

View attachment 14372

View attachment 14373
Now it's a 401 4V V8, 10.2 Cr., Roller Rockers, Comp Cam, HolleyTruckAvenger,HEI,Aluminum Cross Flow Radiator,Auto Meter 2 5/8 liquid filled mechanical gauges,Auto Meter 5"Monster Tach,T-19 6.32 4-speed,Front&Rear Detroit Locker 4.56 Dana 60's, Twin Stick Dana 300 T/C w/32 spline output shafts, 1350 CV driveshafts front&rear, 12"wide 589's W/ 38 X15.50 SuperSwampers.:crazy: