• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

Classic Enterprises panel lip?

jc_chandler

City
Denver
State
CO
So I'm getting everything back from the blaster on Friday and I went ahead and ordered the panels from Classic that I already know I need, namely the ones under the roll bar mounts. I'm an ok welder but this will be my first crack at auto body sheet metal patching. My question is, do I leave the folded over lip on the panels or cut them off? That might be a dumb question but I just want to make sure I approach this the right way.

certifiablejeep

Definitley Certifiable
Lifetime Member
City
Bedford
State
NH
Nothing from CE should need to be cut off... pictures of what you are trying to do?

20160215_140606.jpg

Is it this panel?

If so, you need those folded edges for structure and support to the next panels... so you can spot weld them together.

cb

certifiablejeep

Definitley Certifiable
Lifetime Member
City
Bedford
State
NH
BTW... each one of those 4 panels goes in a specific spot, so make sure you are putting them in the correct place and orientation so the bead rolls are the right way so you can get the roll bar back in.

cb

certifiablejeep

Definitley Certifiable
Lifetime Member
City
Bedford
State
NH
I can't find a pic of all 4... but this shows 2 of them in place and how the bead rolls are...

20160214_153126.jpg

cb

jc_chandler

City
Denver
State
CO
Wow! Amazing work. For those corner bed pieces, are the spot welds all that's needed or should I do that and then weld the seams from the top?

certifiablejeep

Definitley Certifiable
Lifetime Member
City
Bedford
State
NH
Spot welds are what I cut out from the factory, so that is what I was trying to recreate... as for the top, it wasn't welded, I think if anything was more a little seam sealer... but I haven't gotten that far... I stupidly decided to start another project and dealing with trying to jumpstart that first :)

cb

jc_chandler

City
Denver
State
CO
Gotcha, thanks for the intel! I started a build thread so I'll try and post my progress (and many more questions I'm sure to have) there. Good luck with the multiple projects. One is plenty for me ha.

rcork

CJ-8 Member
City
Cape Girardeau
State
MO
Wow! Amazing work. For those corner bed pieces, are the spot welds all that's needed or should I do that and then weld the seams from the top?
Your jeep may be different than mine of course. But, I had some areas of weld on the top between the 4 corner pieces and the wheel houses and the main bed. I took pictures and measurements so I can put them back when I have everything else in. You will probably find that you have those as well. One thing on my tub, the passenger side has nice even spot welds. The drivers side, well that guy was 5 beers in....

jc_chandler

City
Denver
State
CO
I did find that I had a few beads on the top of the panels so I recreated those after fitting the panel in and spot welding everything on the underside. Thanks!

Randyzzz

Blown Budget
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Redmond
State
OR
Mine had those top welds also. I was actually surprised at the size of the areas with no welds- spot or top. I used a 2part seam sealer- dried like epoxy, so that should help a bit.

jc_chandler

City
Denver
State
CO
Mine had those top welds also. I was actually surprised at the size of the areas with no welds- spot or top. I used a 2part seam sealer- dried like epoxy, so that should help a bit.

I was also surprised. Since I'm replacing those panels completely should I completely weld up the top seams or recreate the factory ones and use seam sealer? What seam sealer did you use?

Mancunian

Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
City
Bridgeport
State
WV
You will need a spot weld cutter and a reasonable scraper you can use to remove the old panels without wrecking the stuff you need
The remainder can be got with angle grinder or cutoff wheels, take care on the joints by the exterior panels.
You can see where certifiable drilled the welds in post 2.

Randyzzz

Blown Budget
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Redmond
State
OR
I was also surprised. Since I'm replacing those panels completely should I completely weld up the top seams or recreate the factory ones and use seam sealer? What seam sealer did you use?
I don’t think I’d top weld all the seams. I think the chance of warping the panels would be high. It might not hurt to have additional spot welds in between those top welds, however. Easy enough to do. I used 3M 2 part seam sealer. Self leveling for primed panels. I chose self leveling so it would flow a bit into the seams. They also make it for bare metal.