• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

Clifford 6=8 intake and dual carb problems

Crockodotsky

Basic User
City
Sarasota
State
FL
Guys, I purchased the dual car setup and while installing, the rear carb impacts my brake booster. To make it work, I would have to either change or eliminate the booster or lower the engine a few inches. First off, I can modify the motor mounts but is there a limit to how low the engine should be set? I would imagine the drive line angle cant be compromised too much. I have 4-6" of spring lift and 37" tires. Second, I have a rear disc conversion so I need good vacuum to stop those big tires. Is there a smaller, narrower booster or is a vacuum pump an option?

This is a 4.6 stroker in an '82 Scrambler

Attachments

• carb booster impingement.jpg
    carb booster impingement.jpg
    153.4 KB · Views: 26

Kim Dawson

CJ-8 Member
City
Molalla
State
Or
Someone has probably already solved this problem. A body lift would give more room. I don't like tall body lifts (3") but a 1" I like. Maybe that and a custom air cleaner might work.

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
Hydroboost eliminates the diaphragm and should give you all the room you'd need. Likely a good choice anyway with rear discs and 37s.

93_Fummins

CJ-8 Member
City
Edmond
State
OK
Hydroboost eliminates the diaphragm and should give you all the room you'd need. Likely a good choice anyway with rear discs and 37s.
Yes, but hydroboost also typically puts the nitrogen accumulator right where he's having problems too. Not all of them do, but just something to be aware of before sinking money as hydroboost typically isn't cheap.

mssldn

Legacy Registered User
City
Gooding
State
ID
Yes, but hydroboost also typically puts the nitrogen accumulator right where he's having problems too. Not all of them do, but just something to be aware of before sinking money as hydroboost typically isn't cheap.

Most hydroboost units can be clocked to any angle. Mounting it upside down will put the nitrogen accumulator completely out of the way.

Crockodotsky, I put a 2003 Chevy 2500 setup on the 258 in my J10. I used the Chevy pump (with the Jeep V-belt pulley), hydroboost unit, and all the stock chevy power steering lines. Got everything cheaply from the same vehicle. I used this ebay mounting plate to attach it to the firewall. The same seller has one for a CJ, but it requires welding.

93_Fummins

CJ-8 Member
City
Edmond
State
OK
Most hydroboost units can be clocked to any angle. Mounting it upside down will put the nitrogen accumulator completely out of the way.

While physically possible, I disagree with that because clocking them upside down would put the pressure fittings to the bottom making it potentially more difficult to bleed the air out.

Crockodotsky

Basic User
City
Sarasota
State
FL
Guys, thanks for the tips on hydroboost. I think that's the best way to move forward with this build. I learned a bit about these systems recently when the PS pump went bad on my 2004 1500 Suburban and I lost brakes. Anyone have ideas on which year and model would work best for an '82 Scrambler? The PS pump is the easy part as they look just like the one off my burb except for the extra hose barbs. I'm sure there are lots of hydroboost parts available from ebay or local parts yards

FLCJ8

Legacy Registered User
City
Palm Bay
State
FL
Guys, thanks for the tips on hydroboost. I think that's the best way to move forward with this build. I learned a bit about these systems recently when the PS pump went bad on my 2004 1500 Suburban and I lost brakes. Anyone have ideas on which year and model would work best for an '82 Scrambler? The PS pump is the easy part as they look just like the one off my burb except for the extra hose barbs. I'm sure there are lots of hydroboost parts available from ebay or local parts yards
The Chevy Astro van hydro boost was/is the typical system used in CJ's.
Here's a link from my archives:

There are some updates since I saved it.