• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

CLR Rust Remover

rubclt

BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Charlotte
State
NC
Interesting, I used CLR, scotch pad, rise, soap wash, rise, compound, and sealer. As time passes the rust appears white. Sharing for others that may consider this treatment for original paint restoration
D06FB165-38BD-4A5F-BA25-6A4DB2CD5019.jpegBDF8CE80-C644-453E-9670-EB8ABE5387AA.jpeg47C88454-3DC2-4758-AA4F-C1E82F34272D.jpeg

Reactions: SKT

rubclt

BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Charlotte
State
NC
@SKT very good reading, all 20 pages... Fluid Film sounds like a cool product and I plan to order some to test areas, thanks again.

Amazon Fluid Film

mhinchliffe

CJ-8 Member
City
W-S
State
NC
I use the Fluid Film as a substitute for Woody Wax on my boat. This is one of the best products ever. Lots of guys use as a rust inhibitor in body panel seams to preserve the metal and keep corrosion at bay. At the coast in the salt environment it gets applied to everything metallic exposed to the salt air.
I'll post up some pics of the area I did in this manner on a project Rosco and I have decided to leave in its "patina".

ag4ever

Average Nut
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Silver Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Richmond
State
TX
What is the difference between fluid film and corrosionX? I’ve used corrosionX for years now.

mhinchliffe

CJ-8 Member
City
W-S
State
NC
That I can't answer as I only have experience with FF. FF is a lanolin based (sheep wax) based not petroleum. Cool stuff and it "creeps" into crevices too.

jak inc

I H8 RUST!
Lifetime Member
City
Merton
State
WI
We have been using Fluid Film on all our plow trucks for years with great results combating the effects of road salt. One truck is a 1997 F350 PSD which is still on its original oil pan. This truck has seen every storm since it was new. Another 2002 F350 PSD original pan also plowed since new. I can't say enough good about Fluid Film.

Last edited:

mhinchliffe

CJ-8 Member
City
W-S
State
NC
Here's a few before shots of some 1973 vintage Ford Sequoia Brown. This guy had been stored in a tobacco barn for the last 20 years until I pulled it out a month ago.

IMG_1793.jpg

IMG_1795.jpg

IMG_1796.jpg

IMG_1798.jpg

IMG_1802.jpg

IMG_1803.jpg

IMG_1805.jpgIMG_1804.jpg

The process on this so far has been Meg's 205 on a wool pad for the initial "cut", then on to Meg's 105 on a black foam pad and then finished with Meg's yellow carnauba wax. The hood and top ridges of the fenders have corrosion pitting on them due to lack of paint which is where I'll use the CLR steps and then on to the FF for those areas.
Thx for looking.