Clutch Linkage Replacement: Best Source

MarknessMonster

Amiable Jeeper
City
Western
State
CO
I'm currently in the market to replace the worn-out Bellcrank and Push Rod components of my 1981 CJ8 Clutch Linkage assembly. I've located several sources online that provide a kit to replace these two components, plus a number of other related linkage parts.

I would assume that others have replaced their stock Clutch Linkage components, and am hopeful that this thread will receive some replies as to the quality of parts used. If I have a number of different suppliers from which to choose, I'd like to pick the best quality parts available. I see JCW among several others, and the prices seem to range between $80-$130.

Additionally, I see that the kits are not all inclusive of each Clutch Linkage part. Are there any other parts that members have also replaced within the Clutch Linkage assembly that was not included in the "kits" (example: Return Spring).

Thank you in advance for any helpful responses.

D2ride

Flatlander lookin 4hills
City
wetumpka
State
AL
Quadratec has a kit part #52026.000 that has everything but the return spring for $59.99.

MarknessMonster

Amiable Jeeper
City
Western
State
CO
Quadratec has a kit...
I saw that one too. The problem is the price, as it is the least expensive kit I've found. Why would there be such a huge price differentiation through the different sellers, unless there are noticeable quality levels. Granted, JCW's kit includes shipping, but their price is still double QT's.

I also saw these new replacement kits on eBay yesterday where two sellers offered the same part number, but their prices were about $30-40 different. I wonder what the story is on the variations of this kit?

cjgoode

Legacy Registered User
City
Central
State
FL
I think they are all the same, I got mine from QT's and it seems to be the exact same as the original. It was on back order for almost 9 months. I had called every place I could find and all of them did not have them in stock and had no idea when they would get them, so I assumed they are all coming from the same place. I welded mine to hold it till the kit finally came in, but was not happy that no one could ship me a new kit.

D2ride

Flatlander lookin 4hills
City
wetumpka
State
AL
I see the same thing on e bay all the time,same part with all diffrent prices.I set my e bay up to start with highest price first and scroll thru all the stuff and will find the same thing somewhere a page or two later for a better price,and from the same seller.It pays to look at all the stuff on e bay.Yesterday I saw a good deal on a hydrolic conversion on e bay for $215.00.If your intersted in that swap do a search in the threads here and youll find alot of information on it.Thats going to be my next upgrade!

MarknessMonster

Amiable Jeeper
City
Western
State
CO
...I saw a good deal on a hydrolic conversion on e bay for $215.00. ...Thats going to be my next upgrade!
I've got a hydrolic set-up on one of my big Jeeps, and I simply do not like it. I understand that they are advantageous versus mechanical linkages for hard-core wheeling in regards to articulation, but mechanical is so simple. Obviously, I've got to assess my hydrolic problem to find out why it constantly requires clutch adjustments, so it may be an isolated issue unlike typical hydrolic set-ups. Being my first experience at a hydrolic clutch, I'm not satisfied with them.

I'm not familiar with heim joints, or "rod ends clutch linkage".

D2ride

Flatlander lookin 4hills
City
wetumpka
State
AL
do a search on quadratec for part #520206.100.heim joints wil let some flex in the linkage to help keep the linkage from binding,both the stock replacement parts kit plus these linkages are still cheaper than hydro,if you go that route post it up and let us know what you think.been looking at that set up myself

Last edited: