redking11

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Farmington
State
NM
How big/hard of a job is it to replace a clutch master cylinder? Any tips, tricks or things to watch out for?

Many Thanks

DirtyB

Crazy Cajun
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Port Allen
State
LA
Bleeding the air out can be a pain in the butt. You'll need a friend with legs that don't get tired easily. You can also purchase some devices that help suck the air out. I used a clean glass jar and some black tubing and it worked great. Look on youtube and you'll find lots of instructions. It's basically the same as bleeding brakes.

Zodiac

CJ-8 Member
CJ-8.com Member
City
Macomb
State
MO
You have a hydraulic clutch? Stock was linkage with a body-to-bell mounted bellcrank.

If it's anything like the YJ clutch master, it's a PITA. Internal slave cyl, funky bend in the line between master and slave, combine to make a real job. I often had an easier time pushing fluid up from the slave into the master using a syringe. I've also had passing luck drawing vacuum on the slave rather than trying to use pressure.

barrys

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
East Norriton
State
PA
I had an 80 something CJ7 with a 4cyl that had a hydraulic clutch setup.

Schlap

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Brentwood
State
TN
I’m curious how this worked out.
I have a leak in mine & would like to replace with a new one, if possible.

Belizeit

CJ-8 Member
CJ-8.com Member
City
River Ridge
State
La
In 35 years I've rebuilt my clutch mc a couple of times and bought new a couple of times. Replaced the slave once on my T4. I would just buy new. Going to replace the T4 with a T176 and going all new with Hydraulic again. Just works well