ag4ever

Average Nut
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Richmond
State
TX
Must be swapped in, the B decodes to low back. E is for high back.

56BFED21-E5E3-4566-A426-4CB47E85F7D7.jpeg

DeLuke

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Dallas
State
TX
The codes changed from '85 - '86 :shrug:

This isn't quite right. I had a sneaking suspicion that 1986 Laredo's were still #EJ as I've had a few. Checked my fairly late 1986 Garnet Laredo 7, and it was 1EJ. So, AMC may have changed codes for base or denim seats but the Laredos still have a E as the middle character.

Jeep Addict

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Baton Rouge
State
La
The 1 refers to the interior color which on garnet I would expect to be a black interior. Therefore, the 1EJ would be correct.

DeLuke

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Dallas
State
TX
The 1 refers to the interior color which on garnet I would expect to be a black interior. Therefore, the 1EJ would be correct.

Yep, sorry I wasn't very clear. Garnet is the exterior paint color. The interior is black and 1EJ.

CJeep

Scrambled
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
SOA Member
City
Easton
State
CT
So of course I had to watch it too. Comes up in my Google feed. I get that he's all about rarity, but automatic CJ's make my stomach hurt. I do get it for a dedicated rock crawler, but I'd never pay a premium for an automatic, I don't care how rare it was. And not having overdrive sucks.

1/3 of the love I have for my Jeep is rowing my own gears. And the granny low on my NV4500 is awesome.

Kim Dawson

CJ-8 Member
CJ-8.com Member
City
Molalla
State
Or
I noticed on the 81 Laredo that the door panels were the standard type. Does this mean the Laredo Door panels didn't come out until 82?

Jeep Addict

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Baton Rouge
State
La
81 should be the lever style door with the vertical stripe on the Laredo panel.

AK-RWC

Legacy Registered User
SOA Member
City
south central
State
AK
AMC did all kinds of weird things. My '85 CJ-7 base (bought new by my dad) came with tinted hard top/doors, PS/PB, 258/T-5, tilt column, denim (high-back) seats, clock/tach, smoker's package, TracLock, towing package (HD rear springs), center console. The dealer added custom pinstripes and aftermarket wheels. From what I can tell, the only options it was missing were A/C, auto, cruise, and wiper-delay. It was definitely more highly optioned than the '84 CJ-7 Renegade I picked up in college.