surfjeepzx

CJ-8 Member
CJ-8.com Member
City
Wilbur by the Sea
State
FL
Hello to all,
I'm a newer member here on the forum but I've owned my late Scrambler since 1990. It was an 81. I say was because a few months ago I had to make the obvious decision and send her to Jeep heaven. As I get all the pics loaded up I'll start a new thread over in the Restoration category where I'll detail the begining, the end, and now a new beginning.

This thread will cover my color decisions and why and the process of sampling so I can be 100% certain on the color. As I will again be the final owner of another Scrambler.

My original Jeep CJ8 was identicle the the one in the header at the top of the page less the wood siderails. I bought it in 1990 when I finished College. It was originally a 4 cyl that was converted to a 6 cyl by the origianl owner. I eventually converted it to a AMC 360, repainted it the original color scheme with the exception of painting the strip package instead of tape. The stripes were kept orange and yellow but a brighter tone with opposing pinstripes.

Since my new (to me) Jeep will be a total ground up Resto I decided to spice it up a bit with new colors. In the process of looking at Jeeps prior to owning my current one I looked at and considered many color schemes. I saw many awesome paint jobs but no color that grabbed my attention like the original copper so I decided to stay in the copper family... with a twist.

Once I settled on copper I knew I wanted to brighten up the original copper brown metallic. And since paints have come a long way since 1981 I started noticing all the new coppers out there. In particular the new Jeep TJ's, and other Chrysler products painted in the "Mango Tango" copper. Then I spied a copper Corvette in traffic one day, and a Mitsubishi Eclipse in the gym parking lot, and Nissan had a unique copper too. Once I started looking there was copper EVERYWHERE!

To make a long story short I looked at each car in person at some point and settled on two choices. The Mango Tango on the Jeep, and the Atomic Orange on the Vette. Both colors are very similar which brings me to the present post. There is a CJ8 painted in the Mango Tango with blacked out accents by a shop in Jax. So I wont be the first with that color on a CJ8 but it did give me a look see at that color pattern. Although the Jeep looks good in the pics it really doesn't give a good rendering of the color as you would see in person.

So I decided to move forward on the color selection and actually paint a couple of sample panels to compare and view in natural daylight. Below you will see the original section of tailgate cut from my 81 used to contrast the new color choices.

surfjeepzx

CJ-8 Member
CJ-8.com Member
City
Wilbur by the Sea
State
FL
Continued

From photos you really can't tell the differences. The panel on the left is Atomic Orange, a GM color. The right side is MAngo Tango, a Chrysler color. They are identicle except the Atomic Orange has a beautiful orange/yellow pearl that really grabs your attention out in the sun. In the shade the pearl is silent and you cant tell which is which. I presented the panels at slight angles so you can see the metallics change the brightness of the copper.

I even polished and waxed the tailgate to a nice shine so the coppers would all be equal in their true color. The panels were finished today but my decision isn't final yet although I'm leaning towards the Atomic. Since I plan on incorporating a yellow and orange stripe pattern back into the finish I'll need to paint a couple test panels and see how they make the colors look when contrasted against each other.

It may be too cold here tomorrow to paint so I may have to wait until the weekend. The orange and yellow I chose are 2012 Jeep colors "Crush" and "Dozer". They will be the colors used for the stripes and some engine bay highlights. The engine is another area I'm still deciding on but have pretty much made somewhat of a desicion.

surfjeepzx

CJ-8 Member
CJ-8.com Member
City
Wilbur by the Sea
State
FL
Not to complicate things, but just to demostrate how the base coat color can affect the final color outcome, I painted another test panel with a black base coat vs the grey. The first set of panels were prepared using a grey 2k PRIMER. A "2k primer" is a primer that is thicker and designed to fill heavy sanding lines or light scratches. Then the primer can be sanded smooth prior to paint. It can also be thinned with reducer and used as a sealer just prior to painting.

I wasn't satisfied with the outcome of the panels because to my eye the Mango Tango didn't look as deep in color as the vehicles I've seen in person. So I again sprayed another panel over a black base coat of epoxy primer. That did the trick! Placing the two panels side by side there was a very noticable difference.

So with the help of my wife, daughter, and a couple good friends I set all the panels out had them choose the one they prefered. They all confirmed my decision to go with the Mango Tango which will keep all of the colors used in the jeep family.

You can even see the difference in the pics below.

Here are a bunch of panels I painted in black epoxy primer.

The panel on the left is Mango Tango over grey. The one on the right is the same paint over black. The darker panel on the right is a result of using a black base.

And this is the start of my restoration project. That is an Edelbrock Carb that will be part of the my AMC 360 that I will be painting as I put it back together.

surfjeepzx

CJ-8 Member
CJ-8.com Member
City
Wilbur by the Sea
State
FL
This thread is now going on over in the Restoration threads. Just an update here but the Mango Tango is out and the Atomic Orange is the winner. After painting the Atomic over a black panel I have to say I prefer it and so does my wife and daughter who were the blind test candidates.