rispony

Scramblin' in the City
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Manhattan
State
NY
Stumbled upon an old article of a rebuilt scrambler on fourwheel.com and noticied something strange in one of the pictures. The guy's windshield frame was in place and had a top mounted, but the windshield glass itself was folded upwards. Did a little research and found out it's by a company called Tyson Design Works out of CO. It's called a "Trail View" motorized flip-up window system. It works by mounting two actuators on either side that push the windshield up and down. And supposedly, it doesnt leak. The pictures make the hardware seem pretty compact and not too noticable, especially from inside.

This would have been the perfect addition to my upcoming 8 build with postal top...once that postal top goes on I don't ever plan on taking it off again and I'll sure miss that full frontal breeze of having the windshield followed flat. Problem is, the company went out of business and it seems there are none around used. Add that to the original price tag of ~800 and it's pretty much unattainable for me! :( (Link to main article attached below)

Like so...
0609_4wd_13_z+1981_jeep_cj_8+front_windshield_flipup.jpg
0609_4wd_14_z+1981_jeep_cj_8+front_windshield_flipup_from_inside.jpg 0609_4wd_02_z+1981_jeep_cj_8+drivers_side_view.jpg 0609_4wd_05_z+1981_jeep_cj_8+passengers_side_front_end_view.jpg 0609_4wd_08_z+1981_jeep_cj_8+interior_dashboard_view.jpg
tdw.jpg 0701or_02_z+off_road_products+tyson_design_works_windshield.jpg

Check this link for more photos and the writeup of the build
http://www.fourwheeler.com/features/0609-4wd-1981-jeep-cj-8-scrambler/

certifiablejeep

Definitley Certifiable
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Bedford
State
NH
My thought exactly when I saw it... you can either trail ride and have it open and take your wipers off, or closed and have your wipers on... we get weather there that is nice in the morning and rain in the afternoon, with thunder showers in the summer time, so that would mean you have to carry your wipers with you at all time and pop them back on. The biggest issue is, if your Jeep is so tall, you now need to carry a step stool to put your wipers back on cause you can't reach!

cb

Kim Dawson

CJ-8 Member
CJ-8.com Member
City
Molalla
State
Or
Very cool! If they could have sold for less, and sold many more, then they may have stayed in business. Great for CJs with hardtops. Even YJs could have used these to keep from disassembling the roll bar extensions to fold the windwhield. The beauty of having a CJ with the top down is the ease of folding the windshield . . . as long as it isn't rusted stiff from lack of use and lubrication.

bigwalton

Picture cravin' AK Postal nut
Staff member
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
I remember that. Always seemed useless in my wheeling (and you'd have to be going slow to use it), that windshield would get ripped off by a treebranch in no time. Fine for red rocks and sand dunes though I guess if you did that enough.

I also recall it was insanely expensive for what it was.