• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

Cragar SS?

Quixote Kid

City
Terlingua
State
TX
Anyone ever put Cragar SS wheels on a Scrambler? I'm wondering how it would look. I do like the look of them on some pickups. IMG_0570.JPG

barrys

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
East Norriton
State
PA
Not so sure they would clear the front hubs. I had them on my first car, 14's up front, 15's in the back.KIMG0031.jpg

Quixote Kid

City
Terlingua
State
TX
Haha, when I brought up the SS's to my buddy he had the same reaction as y'all. No worries, I've got thick skin. Funny thing is, I've always considered my scrambler more of a pickup than anything else.

I had never seen them on a scrambler, just wondering if anyone else out there had ever done it. What can I say, I'm a child of the 70's/80's with bad taste...and a 'cowboy' that lives in the Chihuahuan desert of far SW Texas.

More than likely I will go with the traditional white or chrome wagon wheels, just looking at all my options before I drop several bills on new rims.

IMG_0759.JPG

Quixote Kid

City
Terlingua
State
TX
BTW, this is what the PO had on my first CJ5. I'm not sure how they cleared, but just barely. The tires (33's) rubbed when turning.

IMG_0563.JPG

mhinchliffe

CJ-8 Member
City
W-S
State
NC
Haha, when I brought up the SS's to my buddy he had the same reaction as y'all. No worries, I've got thick skin. Funny thing is, I've always considered my scrambler more of a pickup than anything else.

I had never seen them on a scrambler, just wondering if anyone else out there had ever done it. What can I say, I'm a child of the 70's/80's with bad taste...and a 'cowboy' that lives in the Chihuahuan desert of far SW Texas.

More than likely I will go with the traditional white or chrome wagon wheels, just looking at all my options before I drop several bills on new rims.

View attachment 69294

Dude, CLEAN UP THE ONES THAT ARE ON THERE! Those are the exact ones I want!

01212_dmgVWFKnE1G_600x450.jpg

00Z0Z_27dPkQoCdN8_600x450.jpg

Sell them to me when you take them off. This child of the 70's /80's digs em!

barrys

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
East Norriton
State
PA
Those wheels are the CJ5 are Centerline HT2. I would love to find a set local.

Quixote Kid

City
Terlingua
State
TX
I really like the looks of the turbines that are solid aluminum. They actually look pretty good.

Here’s a close up of the rims on the Scrambler. I’m not sure that they were ever solid aluminum. Almost looks like they were originally anodized? And maybe painted?

Red, yellow and you can just barely make out the blue on the last wheel.

BFC5E172-0ED0-4E35-A7F6-597E1AB7B867.jpeg
B59F4495-D318-4FB0-B1EB-90FF7F9F3A16.jpeg
7590FEE5-E601-4E16-B716-1CBB1A267359.jpeg

Quixote Kid

City
Terlingua
State
TX
Slot mags are my favorite... but turbines are my runner-up!

If I were you, I'd have those wheels hot-tanked, detail as necessary, and keep running them! :thumbsup:

View attachment 69321

Very nice looking with those slots! And I really like your 1/2 hard top and solid doors! You're rig looks great, what size tires are you running? Do you have any lift?

I'll see if I can find a hot tank locally. I doubt it as I live 80 miles from the nearest town and 3.5 hrs from a big city, but worth checking into.

I think y'all might have talked me into keeping these wheels.

Last edited:

CJ7Pilot

BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Yuba City
State
CA
Very nice looking with those slots! And I really like your 1/2 hard top and solid doors! You're rig looks great, what size tires are you running? Do you have any lift?

Thank you! The tires are 33x10.5x15 BFG all-terrains. In that photo, the springs are a worn out 2.5" lift. I've since added newer springs, and a body lift, so it currently sits a little higher.

I'll see if I can find a hot tank locally. I doubt it as I live 80 miles from the nearest town and 3.5 hrs from a big city, but worth checking into.

A hot tank would be an easy way to loosen up the gunk and old paint on the wheels, then you could clean them up with a pressure washer. There are other ways to accomplish the same thing. I wouldn't go right to the sandblaster, though. The smooth surfaces still look smooth enough to shine up, if you wanted to... a sandblaster might take away that option.

I think y'all might have talked me into keeping these wheels.

I hope so! Those are good looking wheels! :cheers: