Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
SOA Member
City
Redmond
State
OR
Just because I can't seem to find my way to the forum as often as I used too doesn't mean that I've been slacking... (I am one of the guys that misses Tapatalk, and my phone won't even let me log in since I forgot my password...) Anyways, I've been scouring Craigslist and local sales for Jeep stuff that I assure myself I need.

On Thursday I contacted a guy about some misc Jeep parts on Craigslist. A couple of tubs worth, for $100. Picked it up and found some new stainless brake lines, 2 power steering gearboxes, a set of gauges, stainless hinge mount light brackets, a vintage Mustang shifter, new door striker pins, and a bunch of other misc goodies. Not a spectacular find but some good stuff that I needed.

On the way home, I was driving by an estate sale being set up and saw a Jeep dealership sign. It was huge, about 5' by 10'. I asked the owner, and it turns out it was one side of the Jeep street sign ftom the dealership that I worked for when we moved up here. I tried to get the sign when Chrysler closed the dealership down, but it disappeared. I asked what he wanted, he said "Come back tomorrow, we're not open yet." Bummed, I tried to rationalize that I didn't need a sign that large, and that it was a Chrysler Five Star Jeep sign anyways. I stayed away from the sale on Friday, but today at 3:00 I drove by. They were closing down, and the sign was still there. Hmmmm....I went in and saw the sign was overpriced. I also saw a sign advertising a complete 2007 6.0 Vortec engine out of a wreck. The engine had 47,000 miles but was being considered a core as the trans broke and the flexplate bent, so no guarantees on if the crank was straight or not. Still, good heads, and a rebuildable core....

I went into bargaining overdrive and ended up with the sign and the 6.0 for $300. :bacon: I go pick it all up tomorrow. I'll post pics when I get some. Now i have to figure out where th put the sign...I'm thinking it will look nice on the fence outside the carport where the J20 is parked. It's an 87 so the whole Chrysler/Jeep thing fits. And the 6.0- I'll go through it and it will go in the J20.

Still looking for an engine for the Scrambler...:banghead:

revho

$9.00 vanilla malt
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
beaverdam
State
MI
Nice score Randy. Hope the 6.0 ends up being cherry inside. Sounds like the base you were looking for in the J20.

I picked up a full vintage S-K 1/2 drive standard set today at a garage sale from the original owners son. Paid $40.00 for it and I think there is some money to be made on it. Just cleaned the set and case up.

As found.

Cleaned up. All S-K.

Last edited:

Randyzzz

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
SOA Member
City
Redmond
State
OR
Great deal on the SK set!

I figure on the 6.0 even the heads alone are worth what I paid for the lot.

jeepdreamer

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Colorado Springs
State
CO
You guys are gonna make me bring back my dumpster diving thread, aren't you? Lol
Nice score guys. Seriously well done. May the gods of cheapness smile upon all of us!

Sent from my SM-N930V

Belizeit

CJ-8 Member
CJ-8.com Member
City
River Ridge
State
La
Man I love old hand tools. They made good some good stuff back in the last century made in the US of A. Good find on all that!

Sent from my iPad

Bad Karma

Captain Sarcasm
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Garden Hill, Ontario, Cana
State
da
SCORE!!

I picked up a 6.0L out of an 04 2500 for $200 CDN delivered to my house. Didnt get a sign though :(

Randyzzz

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
SOA Member
City
Redmond
State
OR
Well, I went and picked up my loot at the estate sale. The Jeep sign was bigger than my 5'x10' trailer. Here's some pics! It will look good in my side yard.

IMG_4943.jpg

IMG_4944.jpg

IMG_4945.jpg

The 6.0 engine was a different story. I was unable to look at it yesterday because it was "buried". But today, it sat on a pallet, covered with a worn tarp, juniper sheddings all over it. If it was stored inside it was a miracle. To make matters worse, the oil pan was broken, the rear of the block where the starter mounts was broken, and the balancer and all the front bracketry was broken. Basically it was a set of heads, an intake with injectors, and a harness. Even the computer was crushed by the force of the crash. I told the seller that it wasn't what we talked about and that I didn't want it. He asked what it was worth, I told him $100 on a good day. He said fine, so we loaded it up and I took it home. I took off most of the broken junk, and surveyed the leftover. Oh well, it will be the start of a nice engine for the J20 that I can build to my own specs. After seeing Stump Jumper on the dyno, I know this one needs to put out at least 400HP for me to be happy. I'm obviously a bit disappointed, but I still think I got a fair deal.

Donor truck. Could have got it for another $100, but other than a good 14 bolt rear and some nice but obviously disgusting seats, who would really want that? Both frame rails were pushed back a good 18"...
IMG_4949.jpg

IMG_4964.jpg

IMG_4965.jpg

IMG_4967.jpg

Ok guys- why do my phone pics come out sideways half the time? Even when I edit them they still come out wrong!:banghead:

CJ7Pilot

LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Yuba City
State
CA
Very cool sign!

Too bad about the engine... at least now you can expand your search to include short blocks and long blocks (and a computer)! ;)

cdvcj8

It's Not My Scrambler
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
West Friendship
State
MD
Well, I went and picked up my loot at the estate sale. The Jeep sign was bigger than my 5'x10' trailer. Here's some pics! It will look good in my side yard.

View attachment 56045

View attachment 56044

View attachment 56046

The 6.0 engine was a different story. I was unable to look at it yesterday because it was "buried". But today, it sat on a pallet, covered with a worn tarp, juniper sheddings all over it. If it was stored inside it was a miracle. To make matters worse, the oil pan was broken, the rear of the block where the starter mounts was broken, and the balancer and all the front bracketry was broken. Basically it was a set of heads, an intake with injectors, and a harness. Even the computer was crushed by the force of the crash. I told the seller that it wasn't what we talked about and that I didn't want it. He asked what it was worth, I told him $100 on a good day. He said fine, so we loaded it up and I took it home. I took off most of the broken junk, and surveyed the leftover. Oh well, it will be the start of a nice engine for the J20 that I can build to my own specs. After seeing Stump Jumper on the dyno, I know this one needs to put out at least 400HP for me to be happy. I'm obviously a bit disappointed, but I still think I got a fair deal.

Donor truck. Could have got it for another $100, but other than a good 14 bolt rear and some nice but obviously disgusting seats, who would really want that? Both frame rails were pushed back a good 18"...
View attachment 56047

View attachment 56048

View attachment 56049

View attachment 56050

Ok guys- why do my phone pics come out sideways half the time? Even when I edit them they still come out wrong!:banghead:
Do you have an iPhone? If so there is only one correct way to take pictures. The button should be on the right.

Randyzzz

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
SOA Member
City
Redmond
State
OR
Button on the right? I thought that's how I was doing it. Actually it's the vertical pics that come out wrong. I guess I'll have to stick to horizontal.

I did find out that the engine has the better heads, rectangle port ls3 style. LY6 engine code, I shouldn't have too much trouble getting 400-450 horse out of it once I'm done...

cdvcj8

It's Not My Scrambler
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
West Friendship
State
MD
That's what I mean. Believe or not, you're not supposed to do vertical pics. Bottom on right is ONLY valid way.

Rosco1974

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
West Haven
State
UT
Made the neighbor a deal. I would buy a winch for his trailer if I could use it when I needed it. Found this one.
8000.jpg

Went to pick this one up and behold.... Bought them both. Saved another one. LOL

82741.jpg 82742.jpg

Rosco1974

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
West Haven
State
UT
How about salvage yard finds?

Went looking for a black steering wheel and a 2 post radio (jeep or not). Did not find either, but did find these. Someone took the radio out of an 81 Cherokee, but but left the knobs? Looked everywhere and could not find the other knob. Steering wheel is in pretty good shape. Will have to dye it, sell it or use it on something else.
Radio.jpg Steering Wheel.jpg

flashover604

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Lancaster
State
Oh
I'll play...

So far I've picked up a set of Runck bumpers for $200.

An 8274 needing a motor for $100

A new DUI distributor with new DUI wires for $100

A pair of YJ half doors with new upper window skins but missing the hinges for $50

A full length tan brand new STC soft top with tinted windows and matching soft doors and windows with an almost complete set of brackets and bars for $400

And yesterday I picked up a clean remanufactured 258 with a 4.0L head conversion, two bellhousings, two flywheels, a clutch, a T176 still attached to the D300 case which still had a good front driveshaft on it for $325.

PetesCj-8

CJ-8 Member
CJ-8.com Member
City
slatington
State
pa
I'll play...

A pair of YJ half doors with new upper window skins but missing the hinges for $50

A full length tan brand new STC soft top with tinted windows and matching soft doors and windows with an almost complete set of brackets and bars for $400

And yesterday I picked up a clean remanufactured 258 with a 4.0L head conversion, two bellhousings, two flywheels, a clutch, a T176 still attached to the D300 case which still had a good front driveshaft on it for $325.
Those are some pretty nice scores :bacon:

Randyzzz

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
SOA Member
City
Redmond
State
OR
I'll play...

If this was a contest...You Win!