• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

Crawler at a car show?

CJ ATE

Legacy Registered User
City
Vinton
State
VA
Got an invite this year to attend the 31st annual MDA car show in my home town. This is a 3 day event that raises alot of money for the MDA foundation. Cars,trucks,bikes you name it are there. Strict guidelines and limited entry are the norm so you can imagine my surprize bringing a spray painted mutant CJ-8 crawler to this event and getting put right in the window to help advertise! LOL
100_2669-1.jpg

Well probably the cleanest that thing has been in ages but still dirty. Please excuse the applachian american wheel chocks.
100_2668-1.jpg

Stupid water fountains got in the way. . . I had more room on the ramp! LOL
100_2747-1.jpg

View from the interstate

100_2676-1.jpg

My friend Chris's show truck. Everything you see he built himself. He's a fabricator by trade and does amazing work!
100_2671-1.jpg

My friend Mike's show truck. He has owned this since it was brand new in 1982. Long and fun history.

I give them both a hard time about the show trucks. Kinda like being married to a supermodel with a chastity belt. . . great to look at but cant do a damn thing with em. LOL
100_2682-1.jpg

Out of the sea of muscle cars street rods and choppers in attendance this oddly enough was my favorite of all 120 cars at the show. Whats left of a 73 VW. 2.8 V-6 rear engine with GM transaxle,air bags over springs,old theater seats,screen plates for door panels,countless hours of body mods to accomadate the engine,stretched,chopped,channeld,shaved,you name it! This was just something cool anyway you slice it guys.
100_2688-1.jpg

Great stance with the air bags dropped.

Wandered over to the model car contest to find a Scrambler replica in the "unfinished" category. Called our resident model guru (Jeff396) immediately and found it was one of his first bad castings he had given to another model car enthusiast for feedback. Gentlemen all I got to say is WOW!!!!!! Jeff's efforts are more than worth the wait! The finished product will be staggering in detail!

Last edited:

gr8dain

Old and Slow
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Ashburn
State
VA
Congrats. Is that Animal (Muppet) driving the crawler?

Also, that VW (or what's left of a VW) is awesome.

Randyzzz

Blown Budget
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Redmond
State
OR
Kinda like being married to a supermodel with a chastity belt. . . great to look at but cant do a damn thing with em. LOL

:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl: That quote is priceless...almost spilled my coffee!

Nice job on getting in the car show! The shows here are too "uppity", they have a 1974 cutoff for entrys. Last year there was a contingent of early Broncos, one a 77, so I'm thinking after my Scrambler is finished, I'll try and crash their party...

That VW is sweet! And those trucks...brings me back to my youth, cruising Van Nuys Blvd, lifted Toys everywhere. I miss the 80's...

CJ ATE

Legacy Registered User
City
Vinton
State
VA
Gr8dain . . . yep that's Animal driving the crawler. It was a gift from my friend Jessica about a year ago he has been along for the ride ever since. The kids made me promise to put him in the drivers seat at the show. LOL

Randy . . . glad you got a laugh outta my quote. Sorry about your coffee.:D
Chris and Mikes show trucks are a dying breed thats for sure but both are quite impressive . . . even if you cant do a damn thing with em. :rolleyes::rotfl:

It was nice to educate others on the sport I enjoy as well as show it can be something the whole family can enjoy. Im amazed at the crowd the crawler drew and the amount of questions.
Fun thing is most people just like seeing what others have built whether it be a hotrod,crawler,bike etc. We are all gear heads at heart.

jeffs396

mini Scrambler
City
NE
State
OH
Nice pics, congrats! :cheers: It was nice talking with you that nite!

I give them both a hard time about the show trucks. Kinda like being married to a supermodel with a chastity belt. . . great to look at but cant do a damn thing with em. LOL

Like Randy, love that quote! :D

Wandered over to the model car contest to find a Scrambler replica in the "unfinished" category. Called our resident model guru (Jeff396) immediately and found it was one of his first bad castings he had given to another model car enthusiast for feedback. Gentlemen all I got to say is WOW!!!!!! Jeff's efforts are more than worth the wait! The finished product will be staggering in detail!

Thanks for the kudos Sean...glad you got to see a "rough one" and meet Willie...he's good people :thumbsup:

Gotta pic of his resin Scrambler up on the mini-jackstands?

CJ ATE

Legacy Registered User
City
Vinton
State
VA
Sorry Jeff all i have is a crappy cell phone pic. The lil jack stands were a cool touch.

CJ8Modelbigger-1.jpg