Crazy wiper mod attempt

bigwalton

Picture cravin' AK Postal nut
Staff member
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
#1
I drove the postal this morning after some rain last night. The roads were pretty dried out but some wet spots, more than I thought there would be. Ended up behind someone and got the windshield covered with spray. Been a long while since I last cleaned it and Rain-Xed it, so it was a sloppy mess. Tried the wipers, reluctantly, and got the typical sloppy streaky crap :angry:

Within an hour, I drove my LJ to town (mainly because I didn't want to deal with the windshield and crap wipers!) and had to use those wipers -- they worked great, as always.

That made me want to compare the blades. Tonight I did. Shortly thereafter, the dremel made an appearance. It was all over from there...

The TJ/LJ units I have are Duralast beam style. They aren't that much longer. Screw it! Let’s do this.

The plastic end caps pop off and are really for aesthetics because the main spring/beam captures the rubber wiper element
8E050F3C-ACF4-4EAE-9095-9F55304867E5.jpeg

The wiper element pulls out through this hole. Marks are how much shorter the ends have to be.
C8162CA2-E9BF-4DFA-97C1-27A5ACD07A4A.jpeg

F3389B46-B718-420E-8DCD-5B1C0DEBE46B.jpeg

This is what I cut off of one end of the beam, about the same on the other end. This caused the ends not to be rigid side-to-side, but I figured we had the end caps to put back and super glue in place, so who cares?

It looked possible to undo the "catch" that secures the middle of the beam to the center arm attachment contraption and move the whole beam to one end or the other and that would eliminate having to modify both ends of the beam, but it looked like I would be more likely to ruin the blade if I tried that, so I went with this method. If this blade works, I may try that modification on the other one just to compare which is easier.

Here's what I cut off of one end. I marked for the cut outs and used the dremel to replicate them, the end caps "snap" into those. Without the structural rigidity of the ends that I cut off, they don't really snap, but they stay in place well enough to glue.
2DE12F3C-84FD-427F-B585-56F2DE3EBC0F.jpeg

I trimmed the ends of the blade/beam to try to mimic the ends I cut off, but in the end, it required me to snip the end of the upper part of the element for the cap to sit flush on the end of the beam as it was before. I think I got rid of the "play" that they left between the end caps and the ends of the element, and that's why this was required. My way there's element slightly further to the end of the blade, so I like my version.
B8D7D63E-F014-493B-87B0-32F54BA77B89.jpeg

The Ah-Hah! moment that spurred all of this is when I realized that the center arm attachment doohickey on both wipers is identical in width and both use a rivet in similar locations (more or less, see later pic) relative to the blade element. Some quick dremel work and both center sections were loose.
E620BC60-0FAD-48DB-A1DB-9D2C0469C56E.jpeg C93631FE-4E07-48FC-A076-BF41E80DAC03.jpeg

I drilled out all of the rivet holes for a #8 stainless screw and slid the CJ center into the TJ center with them just slightly offset (need a picture, basically the CJ center sits inside the TJ center on one side and outside the TJ center on the other, I didn't bend or alter either of them, just offset them slightly. In the photo below, you can see the TJ center section is outside the CJ one. If I flipped the wiper, the CJ one would be outside the TJ.) I also had to slightly trim the plastic "cover" that goes over the structural part of the TJ center (compare below pic to the above pic without the plastic cover to see the thing I had to modify. I didn't get a photo of that. Very minimal trimming.)

I need to run to the store tomorrow to grab either metal locknuts for the screws I have or slightly longer screws and nylon insert locknuts. As you can see here, the unaltered CJ blade's arm attachment point is closer to the windshield than on my altered blade. I think this has a side benefit of adding more "downforce" to the wiper as it works.
35A6472A-8603-4AAE-9667-C42F1165D54C.jpeg

In the end, I may have just trashed both a CJ and TJ blade for no benefit and it could be a complete waste of half an hour, but I was so annoyed this morning in the Postal that I couldn't help myself. The CJ wipers were utterly useless anyway, so no loss there :rotfl:

I know people swap on YJ wiper arms and wipers, but I'll never get motivated enough to actually buy the arms and go through swapping them, I was annoyed at these tonight, so I tried to do something about them tonight :rotfl:
 
Last edited:

Spieg

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Aurora
State
CO
#2
I was looking at something similar. I found some rear wiper blades (beam style) meant for a mini van that are about an inch longer than a CJ front wiper blade. I think if I weld/attach the appropriate end onto my wiper arm, they should mount right up.
 

bigwalton

Picture cravin' AK Postal nut
Staff member
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
#5
Oh, and I know it looks like Frankenstein's poop, but I never put form above function :rotfl: In this case, it may have neither!
 
Top