• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

Crozet 4.21.07 (trail ride report)

WildTurkeycj8

Legacy Registered User
SOA Member
City
richmond
State
va
Well, this is nothing compared to the Flat Nasty" thread, but I thought I'd post it anyway!

Got a chance to go out to Crozet (near Charlottesville, Va) with LittleJohn this past weekend. We got off to a really good start:

the Wild Cherry (lol!)
crozet_april_2007001.JPG

LittleJohn's cj7
crozet_april_2007002.JPG

Unfortunately, I think I hit my tie-rod on a rock climbing this ledge:
crozet_april_2007003.JPG

Which caused it to buckle completely under load, sliding over the top of my diff and taking out my braided ARB line in the process (ARB line is red):
crozet_april_2007004.JPG

So we removed the tie rod, bent it somewhat straight, and sleeved it with a Hi-lift jack handle, good to go again, no front locker, but rear locker is still working:
crozet_april_2007006.JPG

Back to Wheeling!
crozet_april_2007007.JPG

crozet_april_2007005.JPG

Last edited:

WildTurkeycj8

Legacy Registered User
SOA Member
City
richmond
State
va
But then, coming down this creek bed:
crozet_april_2007008.JPG

my drag link bent like cooked spaghetti!:mad:
crozet_april_2007009.JPG

So we pulled that off, welded it back together with some scrap metal (Thanks Chris!) and I was able to limp off the trail back to the trailer with it!
crozet_april_2007010.JPG

Took a small hit on a rocker panel, too. I will upgrade the tie rod and drag link to very beefy stuff soon, and wil get some rocker protection on there, too!

Crozet is a great place to go for folks around here. Pretty rocky and there are some big rocks for people who want to go more extreme!

Big thanks to Littlejohn for all the help and for taking the time (alot of time) helping me get this stuff fixed during the day.

-Mike W

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
Two words: Big Daddy

One URL: www.goferitoffroad.com :D

Sheldon's a great guy and anything more than the BEEF of the Big Daddy stuff is just simply wasted steel.

Get the tie rod flip kit while you're at it to get things up higher and get rid of the drop pitman as a bonus!

Nice pics man, great to see that thing wheelin'