• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

Custom fuel cell

Interceptor

My toy of joy
City
Galivants Ferry
State
SC
Best I can tell, my fuel cell will be about 15 gallons stock. Assuming with the 4 cylinder should be 12 mpg?
Looks like there may be 20 gallon tank available also.
Has anyone had a aluminum deck plated fuel cell made that fills first 6" -9" or so behind rear bulkhead. I see farmers do it on pick ups in the bed of their trucks. Looks like 10-20 gallon unit.
I'm thinking tank could be lifted out when empty not in use. For long trips place in Jeep bed and gravity feed with other stock tank is empty.
Custom built deck plating would also look nice.

MrBeep

CJ-8 Vendor Supporter
SOA Member
CJ-8.com Vendor
City
Dillsboro
State
IN
I had one made of 1/8' Alluminum several years ago and made a few out of metal. be sure to install rollover valve in vent system.

Interceptor

My toy of joy
City
Galivants Ferry
State
SC
Thanks for roll over advice. Did you have fuel cell plumbed directly into Jeeps fuel system, or use as storage unit to fill main tank as needed.

Chamba

Not obsessed: focused.
SOA Member
City
Vero Beach
State
FL
Aerotank makes a beautiful 32 gallon one but shipping anywhere other than California makes it pretty tough to swallow.

Randyzzz

Blown Budget
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Redmond
State
OR
I managed to fit a 25 gal K5 Blazer tank between my frame rails out back. Involved a lot of frame mods, cutting and welding. It’s not driveable yet so I have no feedback on if it fills easy or not.

I had planned on a secondary tank but never built it. I was going to use a high volume low pressure pump as a transfer pump. Also I was going to put matching fuel senders in each tank, and a toggle so I could switch between senders and read both fuel levels using the same gauge. One switch for the senders, and another to activate the transfer pump.

Interceptor

My toy of joy
City
Galivants Ferry
State
SC
I managed to fit a 25 gal K5 Blazer tank between my frame rails out back. Involved a lot of frame mods, cutting and welding. It’s not driveable yet so I have no feedback on if it fills easy or not.

I had planned on a secondary tank but never built it. I was going to use a high volume low pressure pump as a transfer pump. Also I was going to put matching fuel senders in each tank, and a toggle so I could switch between senders and read both fuel levels using the same gauge. One switch for the senders, and another to activate the transfer pump.
interestingly good thought on fuel gauge set up.

Thinking stock tank for around town with maybe 20 gal. tank in bed that can be removed if needed for the space in bed. Hey. That's what trailers are for the. Right?

AdamH

Scrambler Junkie
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Mt Holly
State
NC
Best I can tell, my fuel cell will be about 15 gallons stock. Assuming with the 4 cylinder should be 12 mpg?
Looks like there may be 20 gallon tank available also.
Has anyone had a aluminum deck plated fuel cell made that fills first 6" -9" or so behind rear bulkhead. I see farmers do it on pick ups in the bed of their trucks. Looks like 10-20 gallon unit.
I'm thinking tank could be lifted out when empty not in use. For long trips place in Jeep bed and gravity feed with other stock tank is empty.
Custom built deck plating would also look nice.
Honestly I think this would be more trouble than it's worth - and take quite a bit to not look bad.

I have seen the Aero tank in person - nice quality and the ability to go under the Jeep makes it the best case scenario for your situation in my opinion.

The idea of taking it in and out - I don't see you taking it out more than a couple times until you decide it's not worth the effort.

NO offense intended - just being honest. Install and Aero (or something similar) once and be done with it.

Interceptor

My toy of joy
City
Galivants Ferry
State
SC
Honestly I think this would be more trouble than it's worth - and take quite a bit to not look bad.

I have seen the Aero tank in person - nice quality and the ability to go under the Jeep makes it the best case scenario for your situation in my opinion.

The idea of taking it in and out - I don't see you taking it out more than a couple times until you decide it's not worth the effort.

NO offense intended - just being honest. Install and Aero (or something similar) once and be done with it.
No offense taken, understand your point. Considering ALL options and have plenty of time. I have even considered custom tank to replace existing tank. If I could get it up to 25 gallons I'd be happy.
Squaring up corners and adding a little depth might do it.

spankrjs

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Biloxi
State
MS
I have a 20 gallon tank in my red Scrambler (4.0 with MPI/AX15/33" tires/4.10 axle gears). I drive this Jeep across the country regularly. Driving at 75 miles an hour, 20 gallons at 15MPG gives me a 300 mile range. That is 4 hours of driving without having to stop. With no AC, I drink lots of water. It is hard to drive much longer than 4 hours without having to stop to pee-pee :crazy:

The first time I went to Moab, it was with a bunch of Jeep guys. No wives or kids. We would leave camp at 6am, get back around 9pm each day. That is 15 hours of straight trail driving, and with the 20 gallon tank, I never came close to running out of fuel :twocents:

I guess if I was planning on a really long "off the gird excursion into the bush", a larger than 20 gallon tank would make sense :shrug:

Chamba

SOA Member
City
Vero Beach
State
FL
That's good to know Spanky. I have the 15 gallon and with my 351w/AX15 it's really bad. I just can justify the shipping on the aerotank.

Maybe i just need to do the 20 and make my holley in-tank pump work with it.....

Belizeit

CJ-8 Member
Gold Member
City
River Ridge
State
La
That's good to know Spanky. I have the 15 gallon and with my 351w/AX15 it's really bad. I just can justify the shipping on the aerotank.

Maybe i just need to do the 20 and make my holley in-tank pump work with it.....
Please do a write up on that one with lots of pictures ! I'm doing the 15 gallon Holley in-tank also. I'm not like Spanky though. I'm in need to get out of my jeep seat sooner than 4 hours, but a larger 20 gallon tank would be nice

Chamba

SOA Member
City
Vero Beach
State
FL
If i do it I will. From what I'm told the opening is the same so I'll simply have to modify the float and pickup on my Holley. It seems doable.

For me it's more a matter of not having to go to the station as often. My Duramax has a nearly 800 mile range. I can't go that long, but I'll stop for a slash in a quiet area even without having to get fuel: you can always stop for a slash but when you're out of fuel you have fewer options.

jpnmaine

City
East Wilton
State
ME
I am planning on taking a stock 20 gal and putting a 90's wrangler fuel sending unit in it. The CJ's original sending unit will remain in original location and just function as tank level indication. Won't cut the tank until the body is back on the frame so it will be a while. I will use the wrangler fuel lines, filter will be located where the wrangler had it, and connections at the fuel rail will be as factory. Cant wait to be at that point in the build.

Last edited: