D44 rear in Scramblers?

MomoJeep

Basic User
CJ-8.com Member
City
Seattle
State
WA
Does anyone know if Dana 44's were used in the rear of some Scramblers such as they did with some Cj7's in 1986?

Spieg

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Aurora
State
CO
Seems unlikely. They didn't start using the W/T D44s until they ran out of AMC20s. This didn't happen until mid year 1986. While there were allegedly a couple hundred Scramblers sold as 1986 models, those were likely build in late 1985 before the AMC20s ran out of supply. But who knows for sure, there may be a lucky few out there.

Flatie46

Legacy Registered User
City
Russllville
State
TN
My '82 Has a dana 44 rear. I had bought it from the original owner and I knew he actually ordered it. One day he called me out of the blue and I asked him about it. He told me no it was not original, the original had a problem and his mechanic found that one to replace what it had and told him it was much better than what it had. lol I have the original tag from it but it's really hard to read. I work in a factory that builds big truck differentials. I was going to bring the tag in and see what they could tell me about it. It would about had to have come from a late 86 CJ7, I don't see any evidence of modification and as far as I know that would be the only 44 that would be a direct bolt in.

AK-RWC

Legacy Registered User
SOA Member
City
south central
State
AK
I thought we verified that the ONE confirmed '86 CJ-8 that has shown up here did in fact come with the factory Dana 44.

Spieg

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Aurora
State
CO
I think some of the Israeli stuff had some different options as well, but I don't really count those as Scramblers. o_O

Jeepskate

Insane in the Membrane
City
Christiansted
State
VI
Thanks...I dont get on here much...does the glass say "Hecho en Venezuela" ?
It was resto-modded in Florida about 6-7 years ago, so much of the original stuff is gone. I think the doors might be off of a YJ, Gr8Tops half cab & bulkhead, the windshield *might* be the original. It has a Venezuelan VIN.